Brownie Box **** with Pics

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have driven many of the various auxilliaries in big trucks, both two-poles and three-poles.

It sounds real :thumbsup: to talk about hooking one's arm through the steering-wheel and using both hands to shift.

In reality, those auxilliary gears are shifted only when needed and seldom ever touched at highway speeds.

When you are backing up a bad hill, you would put the auxilliary in double-under.

Pulling forward up that same bad hill, you would probably use regular under.

Once on the road, the auxilliary gets left in DIRECT; until, when up to speed on a really good road, once normally shifted into high gear for the transmission, then the auxilliary might get shifted to over-drive.

I have driven several old three-pole MACKs and I have yet to use more than one pole at a time. :)

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I think that would be the benefit of the auxiliary Damon. You have it when you need it but normal empty driving it doesn't need to be shifted constantly like a loaded big truck. When empty on the highway just put it in od and cruise. I **** shifting but having to shift both sticks at every light might get old.
Once in while to make somebody that's staring go ***!, would be cool though.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
It's even noisy in the Van?

In OD only, or always?

I know they make noise, I just figure in one of these trucks, they'll just join the chorus.:D

The Semi's I've driven had the newer stuff where you go through your gears and switch to high and go through em again. Some you reused 1st, some you went to second in high range cause that's how the spreads work.

Regardless if you have three sticks, or one and a switch. You use the gears you need. Pulling a large enough load up a hill you may need all of them. Coming from a stop sign going down a hill, you might only need three of them.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I saw a CL ad hear local, wanting an NP535 I think.

I got to thinking, since these two speeds seem to work best as a splitter if you have a wide ratio tranny, a wide ratio ZF5 from an F450 or Powerstroke would be sweet with a US gear behind it. Giving 10 nicely spread gears with an electric shift splitter.

The ranger goes between the trans and the bellehousing, ZF5 has an integral bell.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed that, that's what I'm planning, either wide ratio (460) ZF5 and a DNE2 or wide ratio T19 and DNE2. I already have a line on the DNE2.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I guess your truck is about as close to needing a double over as you can get with the smaller tires and the 4.10 gears, otherwise a t-19 would cheaper, just won't shift as nice I wouldn't think.

I drove my parts truck a few miles and with the 3.55 gears and 5 spd, even with the small tires it was at real low rpms on the freeway.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It's even noisy in the Van?

In OD only, or always?

I know they make noise, I just figure in one of these trucks, they'll just join the chorus.:D

The Semi's I've driven had the newer stuff where you go through your gears and switch to high and go through em again. Some you reused 1st, some you went to second in high range cause that's how the spreads work.

Regardless if you have three sticks, or one and a switch. You use the gears you need. Pulling a large enough load up a hill you may need all of them. Coming from a stop sign going down a hill, you might only need three of them.

It is noisy at a stop (BTW it does have a neutral point) and when not under pressure but when You put the power it becomes more synchronized or the gears tighten up and You don't feel it much. I think it is a great combination before a 4spd, even considered adapting one of this and a t-19 on My ford truck. They cost nearly $1500 new, I could not find a used one for a few months, I even asked here in the market forum but nothing came up or not enough people read it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Here is mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 7

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I guess your truck is about as close to needing a double over as you can get with the smaller tires and the 4.10 gears, otherwise a t-19 would cheaper, just won't shift as nice I wouldn't think.

Yea, I know what Bob Seger meant when he said, "You can listen to the engine Moanin' out his one note song" running 2300-2500 just cruising down the freeway. I'm just not sure yet which route I want to go.

On Edit: Sorry for the hijack from hell.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Why is it that I can look at a hundred pictures of awesome trucks and not be phased by it, but when I see an overdrive box, I get this feeling of anxious **** and wanting in the pit of my stomach? Man, I gotta get one of them! Or two or three!

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Mine looks like Exekiel69s now.:D

I cleaned it up and they are really a nice looking unit all aluminum case and such. Seems really thick and heavy duty when you handle it.

I drained the fluid, and it looks used, but smells good. The drainplug is magnetic and there was just that little bit of slime you could run through your fingers of metal filings. So, I'm calling it good.;Sweet

I had been thinking a 4bt would be the perfect engine for it with the shorter power band. I'm not sure if I'd want to hook a 6bt up to it if it was a higher output engine. A Ford 300 straight six woudl be a good canditate too, I miss my 85 Bronco with the I6 and NP435.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.