Brownie Box **** with Pics

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Congrats on the new box. You are going to love have those extra gears ;Sweet You can never have too many :D
When you make up your shifter setup, just make sure you leave plenty of room so they don't get tangled in any gear combination and you dont smash your knuckles getting too close to anything when you get to shifting fast because when you get to splitting , those levers get to flying around pretty quick and clearances that might have worked sitting still, can leave you with bloody hands going up a steep mountain.:eek:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
No comparison to 15 speeds but it'll have to do I guess.LOL

I put my old Bronco clutch tool in there and spun the shafts. It seems to give me a slight more than 5 turns out the back for 4 turns of the input shaft in OD, and 1:1 in the down shift.

I love the youtube video of the guy with the old Chevy with a two stroke detroit, maybe a three cylinder and I believe a ranger overdrive. He's going through all the gears since it's underpowered and a short power band. I started laughing after what seemed like five minutes and he still isn't in his top gear yet, it almost looked like he was grinning too.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how ya foundit but let me know if you find another, I'd love one to pair with my t19 ;)

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
420 ft lb tq is pretty good. What does an IDI even put out? about 390 ft lb?

Stock not even that, 6.9 I think was 338. NA or even lame turbo like mine would be okay, just for heavy mods or extended towing I'd wonder about longevity. I'm certainly looking at one for the finishing touch on my f100 if that cold day ever comes that it runs, but it'll just have a mild 302.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
By my shaft turn count it does put it about the 27% reported on AAs website.

I think the 420ft lb rating might have to do with the idea that those old 4spds were rated for about that. I think they may have figured there was no point in rating it higher than the tranny it was to be hooked to.

It's such a simple box with gear oil in it. I bet the 1:1 is a straight though couple. I would think it will last as long as the tranny it's hooked to.

Really short throw on the shifter, and no in between neutral, so it's either POP up, or POP down.

Hey Rhk, I hate to say it, but I have no special hookup on theseLOL

It was on CL. Just hidden in an ad.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Not sure how ya foundit but let me know if you find another, I'd love one to pair with my t19 ;)

Alright, I'll give up a good lead.

Tony's Ford truck parts, has plenty of 2wd ZF5s, and he also HAD about three DNE2s. One of the DNE2s at least looked like it would bolt on the back of a T-19.

I haven't bought from him yet, but he seems like a good guy and he's been really helpful, I would like to see him get some business from the site. I think the price he quotes you over the phone can be negotiated with cash in hand.:sly

He's seems to be the CEO, and Head Cook and bottle washer too.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I often wondered about getting the under and the over drive rangers and doubling them up in front of a nice NP435 or T19 ....hmmm...wonder if a NP535 would work? then you got under/direct/over and 3 reverse gears...then add a NOP203/205 doubler and wow....ok now I have a rear drive shaft about 3/8" long with all that...but imagine the gearing possibilities!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I often wondered about getting the under and the over drive rangers and doubling them up in front of a nice NP435 or T19 ....hmmm...wonder if a NP535 would work? then you got under/direct/over and 3 reverse gears...then add a NOP203/205 doubler and wow....ok now I have a rear drive shaft about 3/8" long with all that...but imagine the gearing possibilities!

My Spicer 6041 auxilliary has double-under, under, direct, and over.

The 5-speed 5th-gear is OD.

That yields four reverses and twenty forward gears. :)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damon, and if you really wanted to you could run through all the main gears in double-under, then upshift to single-under range and go through all mains again, and finally use the direct and over to split the mains on the high side, right? Sheesh, if that ain't a muscle workout for the right arm and left leg, I dunno what is! LOL

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score

I saw a CL ad hear local, wanting an NP535 I think.

I got to thinking, since these two speeds seem to work best as a splitter if you have a wide ratio tranny, a wide ratio ZF5 from an F450 or Powerstroke would be sweet with a US gear behind it. Giving 10 nicely spread gears with an electric shift splitter.