Another New Guy8

Fader

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been lurking in the shadows utilizing this & other sites for info... I decided to join the conversation.

I have been doing all of my Automotive maintenance/upgrades myself for the last 21 years.

I just got into the diesel scene 3.5 years ago.

I really love the mechanical diesel platform so that is all that I have owned.

I started off with a 92 Sierra c2500 that had a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo.
I traded that off for a Mitsubishi d2000 small diesel tractor.

I then bought an 84 M1009 CUCV that had a lot of issues. I got it going somewhat but the mice took it over (because I parked it in a field). I kept it for 3 years as a rough drivable parts truck & just recently sold it.

3rd one was a really decent 84 m1009 CUCV with a 6.5 turbo setup on it.
Probably should have kept that one.

4th diesel was another m1009 (85) that ended up having issues...a buddy helped me rebuild the engine & it's still going strong (for someone else)

I changed gears for #5... I traded some firearms for a rust free (body was beat) 85 F250 with a 6.9 & an old school non waste gate Banks turbo.
Not a bad truck...common theme is I'm not sure why I sold it. Really wanted a 5 speed 4x4 f350 which I still haven't bought.

6th one was a really nice one ton CUCV m1008a1 with a flatbed. Snagged it in a sealed bid auction & she is clean as can be.
Currently parked as I need to fix an fuel line air intrusion.

7th diesel was (you guessed it) another CUCV. A rust free m1028a1 one ton.
This one has the NP205, trac lock Dana 60, & rear overloads. Still have this one & actually just took it in a section of the cross country MVPA convoy this past Tuesday. Fun Times.

8th one didnt last long... I snagged a 89 e350 cutaway box van with a reman 7.3 for scrap price. Owner said it was hard to start....turns out it had loose battery cables. Sold that because I had no real use for it.

I guess that I just added number 9... (I had never actually counted them) it's been a hectic last 40ish months.

I recently snagged a 82 c30 crew cab dually that has been swapped with a P-pump 6bt out of a diesel pusher RV.
Seems like the previous owner did a good job on the swap. Lots of little odds & ends to finish up but the overall swap is really decent.

I am far from an expert & am here to learn.

I really enjoy driving the Cummins swapped Chevy with the NV4500... it's a blast compared to all of these IDIs that I've been driving.

Don't get me wrong...the IDIs aren't going anywhere & I may be buying a beater m1009 this weekend.

Yes...I have problems.

Anyways, thanks for the forum & I look forward to the conversation.

Frankentruck95

Reaction score
Our situations are similar.
I am a performance / fab ******. I like to make my rides unique. I never really thought of diesels and hi performance together until my son (who is in the Army and leaving for Iraq this weekend) bought a new 2009 Ram and started having mods done. He drove it home on leave a few times and the diesel performance bug bit me.
Welcome to the frey