Broken sensor wires on '97 PSD

jvencius

Reaction score
I was over at Ramprat's house this morning fixing a GP relay wire and while the hood was up, Mrs. Rampy saw that there is another sensor on the driver's side cylinder head, just forward of the lifting eye that's broken. The sensor body looks OK, but two of the three wires going into it are broken off right at the plug. We went to Advance Auto but their code reader wouldn't work right and so neither of us have any idea what CEL code it set (the CEL is on). Rampy said the truck started and ran like before, so I can't imagine that the sensor is critical to engine operation but it is broken and should be fixed. Sorry for the crappy quality of the picture--I took it with my phone and the phone can only take 640x480 resolution shots. Does anyone know what this sensor is and how much it costs? I figure that there will be some soldering involved, since the wires are broken and if the new sensor comes with some pigtail wires attached I'll have to connect them to the factory harness, so that's not a big deal.

Attachments

• 1227050846.JPG
    1227050846.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 18

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Sure looks like a field mouse had a good meal. I'm finding mouse turds on top of my fan shroud... :backoff :mad:

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Here's another picture of the sensor, any ideas what sensor it is????

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
That is the ICP {corrected}- where some guys make the 10k mod-{dunno why I was thinking Insane Clown Posse :D }

I had mine apart when I did the 10 k.....JV, how good are you at wiring weatherpac connectors?

That pink rubber seal comes out and if careful you can remove the pins and re-connect, while still maintaing weather tightness.

Not sure of the availabilty of connector at stealership.....might try NAPA or equvelant and look in their sensor/plug book.

Keep us posted!
:cheers:
GEO

Last edited:

TimMiller

Reaction score
ICP (Injection Control Pressure) Reads your high pressure oil. PCM is runnin on default values so thats why the CEL is on. The IPR is further down, its on the back of the HPOP. It has the grey plug with the two wires going into it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
TimMiller said:
ICP (Injection Control Pressure) Reads your high pressure oil. PCM is runnin on default values so thats why the CEL is on. The IPR is further down, its on the back of the HPOP. It has the grey plug with the two wires going into it.

:eek: My bad...got them switched around...:sorry:

Bouy...am I embarresed :eek:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
ford has the pigtails you will need to repair it... all you will have to do is cut and splice

i might have a pdf of all the wiring pigtails if you need it and i can find it, it about every motorcraft wiring connection in it you could dream of with part numbers... if your interested let me know and i will try and dig it up

... but thats not gonna help if he keeps on chewing on his wires :rotflmao

jvencius

Reaction score
jlayne said:
ford has the pigtails you will need to repair it... all you will have to do is cut and splice

i might have a pdf of all the wiring pigtails if you need it and i can find it, it about every motorcraft wiring connection in it you could dream of with part numbers... if your interested let me know and i will try and dig it up

... but thats not gonna help if he keeps on chewing on his wires :rotflmao

Apparently there is a GM part # (88988301) that is identical to the Ford pigtail and doesn't involve replacing the whole wiring harness (Ford's solution). Rampy is on his way to the dealer to buy one and will be stopping by Casa de JV so I can install it for him this afternoon.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
ford sells pigtails to, it is a motorcraft part that comes with the connector and about 6-8" of wire... sounds like your dealer wanted to turn your $$$ into his $$$

here is the pdf i have on the net... available here

http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=23

pigtail catalog http://www.motorcraft.com/pdf/Wiring_Pigtails_Catalog.pdf

pigtial catalog with pics http://www.motorcraft.com/pdf/Wiring_Pigtails_Illustration_Guide.pdf

it the gm one doesn't work print the page out with your connector on it and then smack the parts guy for being a moron

jvencius

Reaction score
Rampy's truck is fixed now. I went back and soldered a ring terminal on the GPR wire I fixed this morning (to get the truck running I crimped on a terminal) just to make a more secure connection. Actually, Rampy bought GM Part #88988301 (plug w/pigtail) and that connected right up between the ICP sensor and the factory harness. I got everything soldered together, the truck fired right up, and the CEL cleared, so I guess I hooked the right pigtail wires to the right ones in the factory harness. I hesitate to think what the stealership would charge for the whole ICP wiring harness, but the $50 or so for the GM part is probably a good deal.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Yeppers, thanks to JV he saved me from doing a cheesy redneck repair on the Gp relay wire & then saved quite a bit of time & $$$ by doing the repairs on da pigtail :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guy at the auto electric shop I was going to have repair it called Ford & said I did not want them to fix it or get the stock Ford pigtail as they **** ya and don't do very good work.

JV also called Ford & they wanted $549.00 for the pigtail :eek: :eek: :puke:

jvencius

Reaction score
Ramprat said:
JV also called Ford & they wanted $549.00 for the pigtail :eek: :eek: :puke:

I just about made #2 in my pants when I heard the parts guy say that. If you can stomach having a GM part in your Ford truck, $50 is a whole lot easier to stand than $549.