broken ignition

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So the other day as I was leaving work, I dutifully waited to start and when I went to turn the key the starter just made a hiccup and the key turned all the way and bottomed out. I can start the truck by jumping the solenoid, but thats getting old real fast, not to mention dangerous. I about ran over my foot this morning by forgetting to take it out of first gear:eek:. Good thing I was wearing my steel toes;Really.

I'm guessing the rod in there is broken? Where can I find a new one of those?

I have half a mind to just wire up a couple of toggle switches to start the truck. That way I wont have to remove all my gauges again, which is a royal pain to do.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
the rod is likely broken, its a crap piece of cast pot aluminum. i got a column from the junk yard with a broken linkage and it did the same thing you mentioned... the key switch just spun around.

believe it or not you can get them in the help section. just make sure the pin that is pressed into the end isnt missing. i made sure to grease the entire linkage up nicely too.

the other possible culprit is the switch itself, on top of the column under the dash. its slotted and may have worked loose.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
like the "help" parts section at autozone or advance

they are out on the floor... replacement parts like gas caps, pedal pads, lock barrels, mostly random stuff, but thats where they are. when i got mine i just walked into the store. i think it was $3.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online