Broken crankshaft

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A buddy of sorts called me tonight to inquire if I had any IDI's to sell. I have one but I ain't sellin' it I told him...LOL.....He thinks he broke the crank in his 94 F350 rollback wrecker....He was driving on the highway with a pickup on the deck when BANG!!!...It shut off....Barely rolled over....He was thinking busted tranny (my old E4OD 2wd from my 4wd conversion last year)....Nope - pulled the tranny out and he can walk the back end of the crank in the block a 1/2":eek::puke:....Anyone here see any IDI's snap the crank or something similar. 310,000KM on it - barley broken in.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I told him to haul it out, tear it down and see what he finds...I'm curious to know. I know he runs this thing HARD....Busy busy. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't "wound for sound" when this happened.

jacket88

Reaction score
In Texas

I have a 1990 7.3 complete, but I am long ways away! I am close to Fort Worth, Texas.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
A buddy of sorts called me tonight to inquire if I had any IDI's to sell. I have one but I ain't sellin' it I told him...LOL.....He thinks he broke the crank in his 94 F350 rollback wrecker....He was driving on the highway with a pickup on the deck when BANG!!!...It shut off....Barely rolled over....He was thinking busted tranny (my old E4OD 2wd from my 4wd conversion last year)....Nope - pulled the tranny out and he can walk the back end of the crank in the block a 1/2":eek::puke:....Anyone here see any IDI's snap the crank or something similar. 310,000KM on it - barley broken in.

Years ago when I bought My first diesel (IDI), during My first trip 1k miles since bought the engine all of a sudden made a very loud sound I could shift the tranny but it would not move, I could start it but it would make the same very loud noise that tells You something is broken really bad but the truck would not move (far away from home) when they replaced the engine with a jasper they told Me the crank was broken on the core I returned. Dealer never paid for any of this repairs.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The duck floats doesn't he so his **** must be tight?.....:D:rotflmao

Unless it's running an alternative fuel source and is an air powered hover craft in disguise.LOL

That makes 2 snapped cranks.

What I'd like to know is how close in manufacturing dates these 2 motors were.
Maybe some bad metal to look out for in certain years.:dunno

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Unless it's running an alternative fuel source and is an air powered hover craft in disguise.LOL

That makes 2 snapped cranks.

What I'd like to know is how close in manufacturing dates these 2 motors were.
Maybe some bad metal to look out for in certain years.:dunno

I'd be more curious to know if they where both in a Jasper reman.
Ken

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'd be more curious to know if they where both in a Jasper reman.
Ken

Oh crap that's right Ken.
Yeah, I'll second that. The good thing is, Jasper usually puts a pretty hefty tag on em.

Dang memory is shot.