Broken crankshaft

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broken Crank

Yep, that was mine in the link above. Crank broke near the 4th main jornal. The harmonic balancer was bad, and my best guess is that was the cause. I'm hoping to rebuild it to turbo specs, starting in a few weeks. I had play at the flywheel too. You could hear a clunk (bang) internal when you rocked it back and forth.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Thats wild. I have never seen a 444 break a crank ever. Now there are 2 here in less than 2 months. I would be really curious to know where it broke. If the engine is pulled apert you gotta make sure some pictures get posted.
Maybee the cranks are timebombs in these engines and need a long time to develop their failure. That would not bee good to see a rash of busted cranks.
Ken

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Just for those who were wondering, I was talking to Roy today - the crank did break right behind the #3 main cap, snapped clean off. He found a good used engine locally and he said the wrecker is working great again.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice to hear things are up and running again. In the future any crank will work in a 6.9 or 7.3 motor. They are all the same. Even the part number and the casting numbers are the same. The differances are in the drilled balance holes.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Nah, I hardly see him unless he needs parts or he comes to buy my cat converters...He paid $800 for a low mileage used 7.3IDI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online