Brand new glow plugs, still no start

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can spend a bit more, here's a great deal on what I believe is the best solenoid for the glow plugs. It's what Wes puts in his kits, and is rated for continuous duty.

After having numerous Napa ones fail at $40ea, I wish I would have done it sooner. It's BEEFY! on weight or size alone, this thing is worth 3-4x what the stock one is.

If you're using a standard Controller, you might have to get clever with wiring. I gutted my system with a ground button to the dash and power running right from the battery to this solenoid, to the glow plugs. Now... No controller clicking, and easy starts every morning!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Okay so I’ve discovered that I don’t have the issue if my intake filter housing is not on the truck, the moment I put it on and tighten it down, it clicks. If I don’t tighten it down all the way, it won’t click. This makes no sense. There’s no contact happening between the relay and the filter housing, but my relay isn’t mounted to the motor as I see in some peoples trucks. Mines just sitting in the back chilling with nothing securing it down. What am I not getting?
Some thoughts -
1) The metal tabs on the solenoid likely need to be bolted to the block to get a ground so your +12v will cause it to close.(You said yours just hangs there.) With the air cleaner off the soleniod is grounding to something metal. With the air cleaner tight the soleniod wiring moves it off of ground And it does not work.
2) There is a wiring issue, the air cleaner pushing on the wiring or pushing something else onto the wiring is causing a short/break in the wiring to happen.

Try grounding the solenoid metal mount tab with a jumper wire and see if that is it. Then try moving your wires to it one at a time till it stops working. Either way it should work all the time or not work at all.(Possible the solenoid is going bad.)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a ground that needs to go to the controller for it to work. If it' just floating around in there, is the ground tight to a bolt somewhere?

You must be registered for see images attach
glow plug controller by D Franklin, on Flickr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online