Braking issue

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I put on the brakes and for example come to a stop light the brake light on the dash will come on and the brake pedal will become very stiff. This is only while im sitting still. As soon as I start driving again the brake pedal becomes normal again and the light goes off. Is this a vacuum issue or booster??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a vacuum issue. Time to see what the vacuum is on your system before you loose all the power assist.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a vacuum issue. Time to see what the vacuum is on your system before you loose all the power assist.

I have never encountered an issue like this. what do I need to do? Pick up a vacuum gauge from napa or something, and where would I hook it up to, to get a reading?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The vacuum pump is probably the problem but please look over all the vacuum hoses for cracks or loose fittings. The vacuum pump is below the alternater on the V belt engines or over the drivers side head by the ac compresser. Both easy to replace if... You have the special pulley removel or installer tool. Its available at most fake autoparts stores for rent.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
buy a vacum gauge, pull the hose coming into the brake booster and install vacum gauge, when you fire up you should get 21 in hg almost instantly, if not check over lines and if all of them check ok then it is new vacum pump time.