brakes adjust too far

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with my drum brakes. They are adjusting themselves too far and they drag, quite a bit actually. I originally thought that it was a sticking e brake cable, but I readjusted the brakes and it did it again even though I had not used the e brake. It takes a few weeks before it does this, but I have had to back them off several times now. I have no idea what could cause this. ANy ideas?

sassyrel

Reaction score
if a previous owner put the wrong cable kit on the adjusters---------you can buy a new cable kit, and the adjusters for not much--put them on and see what happens---

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often do you back up? That's the only time the adjusters can adjust other than the parking brake.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
How often do you back up? That's the only time the adjusters can adjust other than the parking brake.

every day. I'm not sure I understand your comment though. You realize that my brakes are adjusting TOO far?

sassyrel

Reaction score
thats why i said a previous owner may have put in the wrong cables---with the brakes at rest---the adjuster should just touch the bottom of the adjustment wheel---:D :D

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem i has found that where the cable attaches it was in the wrong groove. caused pre tension basically on the brakes.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the cables as mentioned in the above posts, and it could also be the star wheel adjusters - if they are worn, instead of moving a click or two when you apply the brakes in reverse - the could be moving several clicks and getting the shoes too close to the drum.

Adjust them in by removing the rubber plug in the backing plate and spinning them with a brake adjuster "spoon" or a straight screw driver, so you can get the drums off, then have a look - make sure the leading and trailing shoes are on correctly too.

These drum set ups are "self energizing" so they have a long and a short shoe -- the long one should be on the back.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I did both brakes this weekend. I could find no assembly problems or wear issues. It was time to do it anyway, so I did drums, shoes, and a kit. I reused the adjuster and cable. If the problem returns I'll replace those as well.

I found absolutely nothign wrong with it. I hope it was something that I couldn't see or didn't notice. So far it's working fine...