Brake thing on frame rail. What is it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats the anti lock brake master. It keeps the rear wheels from locking up and causing a skid. Many don't like them as they feel it ruins your braking control. If the work correctly they do a good job of stopping our rigs without skidding but. Some just wont function correctly. Mine has been replaced twice and not with the hydroboost I have if I hit the brakes hard I get a sudden braking and then what feels like bypass braking and I loose most of my brakes no matter how hard my feet are on the peddle. I'm about ready to bypass this valve and be done with it but worry what may happen if I'm involved in a traffic accident if braking is an issue with my rig.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Ok my ABS is totally in-op and I'm used to that. This thing I have is EXTREMELY rusty and looks like it or a line feeding it could blow whenever.

Bypassing it is a mechanically functional and functional option?

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the proportioning valve. I honestly haven't looked much at it to see where the lines ran yet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it could be the proportioning valve. take a picture of it, when you say "rusty box" i automatically think of a dirty ******

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If it has RABS, there is no proportioning valve.... that is what the RABS does.... bypass it and you have FULL BRAKING power to the rear axle wither you have air in the bed, or 6000 lbs of stone.........

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Ya this thing ain't functional. Rears always locked up real easily this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    730.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    741 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member