7.3 flywheel bolt snapped on install, NAPA and RockAuto list different bolt

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nasty surprise bolting on the flywheel. The first bolt we tried to torque, at 30 ftlbs, stretched then broke. NAPA doesn't have any in stock. Has anybody had this kind of issue?

The remaining 8 flywheel bolts sound like hardened steel when dropped on concrete. They ring. The one that broke sounds like it wasn't steel. Thud. I wonder if there is just one defective bolt in the bunch that came with the Sachs clutch/flywheel. We'll try the others and see if I need to buy all 9 or just one.
You must be registered for see images attach

Looking at the flywheel bolts on RockAuto, clearly they are different. They list bolts that are 900/1000" but the bolts that we have about about 2", and we know they are correct because we still have the old ones. Anybody know about that?

RockAuto short bolts, NAPA listed same size

Mjdavidson1

Reaction score
I ran into a similar issue with a 1990 7.3idi in a 1990 International 4600. The engine I was installing was out of an F350. The flywheels were different and my flywheel bolts were in rough shape. I couldn’t source them locally. I found bolts that matched mine on McMaster Carr, they were around 10$ for a pack of 10 plus shipping. I ordered them on a Wednesday afternoon and received them the next day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck