Quigley E350 Van: No brake booster! What is wrong?

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

Make sure the vacuum line to the brake vacuum sensor is in good shape and it’s getting vacuum. (Small Metal can with wires on one side and a vacuum line on the other.) When the sensor does not register vacuum, it will also put the brake light on. Yours could be also be bad, use your vacuum pump you bought to test. You should fix so you know when you lose vacuum and thus lose your brakes. Safety thing.

Some have used a smaller newer style on Amazon or E-bay. I am traveling in Greece currently but can send you a link next week if yours is bad.

On the pulley, if v-belt Dorman makes a cheap one for $50 US. If serpentine, it’s $150 new.

Brake light switch - maybe a course for the light. I don´t know. I mostly never came on with the parking brake engaged, in the last years.
I is on with key in "on", then off while starting and than brake light on again. Looks like it is reading something. Maybe vacuum too low but enough for a good brake feel.... I will check the amount of vacuum in the next days.

As a ´93 on it has a serpentine belt. This pully is just a simple peace of steel, no bearing! Even 50$ for a peace of steel is huge!
It should be somewhere around 5-15$ max, that would be a realistic price. Nothing more.

If I cannot find something in that area I will go somewhere to let it build on a lathe. Cannot be much more expensive. Quick search:
From V2A stainless steel a 120mm x 100mm full material block is 80€. A hole in the middle - more or less done. And that is stainless.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I think we all feel the same, the pulley for the serpentine system is over priced. Should be more like the V-belt one for $50 US. Guessing you might find one cheap at a junk yard or on E-bay.

Many of us including myself learned the hardway they just bend if you use a shop press or gear puller. You have to use a PS puller or you bend the pulley, or break the pump putting the pulley back on. I have the V-belt version so my lesson was a little cheaper than yours.

Let us know what you come up with.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to let everybody know who tried to help me on that:

It works again
You must be registered for see images attach

I tried to let someone make it, first offer ~150 bugs. Kind of too expensive, found some used ones in TX, ~ 100 bugs
...and than I thought: Whatever can be made this way, can be turned the ither way again, as well... or maybe.
It did.
Looks crazy, it was! :cool:

I pulled slidely offset. So the puller was NOT centered - otherwise it would have pulled it off. The "pin" was on the shoulder of the pulley, so it bend the other way.

Taking 1 screw as a fixed point for reference, tumble is ~ 1 mm or less. Running I cannot see anything unusual - not like before!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online