brake problem help????

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suddenly my truck is giving me fits first the tranny and now all of a sudden the brakes went to a hard pedal I mean all you’re might push to stop.
I just replaced the master and its still a hard pedal is there some other possibility.
Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These truck have vacuum assist power brakes. The vacuum pump is driven off the alternater. First look and see if you still have the small V belt driving the pump. Then follow all the vacuum lines. You may have bumped them and knocked one off. The very worst thing you might need to replace the vacuum pump. That requires a special pulley puller. You can't remove the pulley by using the outside belt lip. That will ruin the pulley.

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the belt is on and the lines look good is there some kind of a test to see if thats what went out I dont know but it seems weird that from one stop light to the next it went out that fast BOOOM or is it BAMMMM?? :dunno :D

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the belt is on and the lines look good is there some kind of a test to see if thats what went out I dont know but it seems weird that from one stop light to the next it went out that fast BOOOM or is it BAMMMM?? :dunno :D

I do know it was scary you expect the brakes to be there and they wernt!!

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Dead booster? Pull the line off the booster and run the truck and see if you have a solid amount of vacuum sucking through the line.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me guess... your another one of those people who have ignored all my posts over the years about installing a vacuum gauge as part of your standard instrumentation set. :rolleyes: