Brake master cylinder leaking?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been crazy busy working on customers pickups. I really haven't even paid much attention to my pickup as I'm waiting on the time to put my lift kit on. It's been about a month maybe a little longer since I've drove it. I went out today and noticed that the master cylinder is leaking? Why would it leak if it's just sitting? It's leaking at the seal to the brake booster.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just replace it while you have it apart.....
Unless you plan to go hydroboost soon.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

One of are other mechanics said the hydroboost sucks and to stay with the regular set up. Is he wrong on that? I thought they are better?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of are other mechanics said the hydroboost sucks and to stay with the regular set up. Is he wrong on that? I thought they are better?

I've heard some people don't like them. I did it on my Chevy and absolutely LOVE it. I'm looking forward to doing it to this truck but I want to find a set of saginaw pump brackets first.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hydroboost all the way!!!!!

The only time I've noticed any steering assist change (my Excursion, and all the 99+ SuperDuty Diesel Trucks have Hydroboost factory) is when I am at idle, and trying to maneuver and have my foot on the brakes. Best example I can give is: I work in an area where I have to park in a parking garage. The quarters are tight in there, so you have to move more slowly, and have to ride the brakes. In this situation, the assist on the steering is much less, but the braking works fine (I think the brakes have priority). So I have learned when to lift off the brake just long enough to steer. Didn't take very long to learn this new trick, and the better braking is worth this little quirk. I've not had any issue at anything above idle and steering....

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard some people don't like them. I did it on my Chevy and absolutely LOVE it. I'm looking forward to doing it to this truck but I want to find a set of saginaw pump brackets first.

I've have drove a few duramaxs that I've worked on and they seemed very well. The one mechanic as said thinks they leak all the time and the that brakes suck. What all goes into the swap?? I'm guessing you need the hydroboost system and new power steering pump?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire him as a mechanic.
May make a good broom pusher.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

He one of the laziest people we have their. Normally he reads the paper for an hour before starting to work.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've have drove a few duramaxs that I've worked on and they seemed very well. The one mechanic as said thinks they leak all the time and the that brakes suck. What all goes into the swap?? I'm guessing you need the hydroboost system and new power steering pump?

On our Fords...

1. You need a pedal from a hydroboost truck with the same transmission. The pedals are actually different WHERE THEY MOUNT between auto and manual. You can't just cut down an auto pedal like I did for my Chevy. You COULD just move the mounting stud 3/4" up the pedal if you are comfortable with that.

2. Hydroboost unit. Best getting one from the scrapyard. Most of the reman units are missing a part because they expect you to use the one off your core return. Which you won't have. They were on F-superduty trucks. Gas or diesel doesn't matter.

3. Hoses. Order for your year F-superduty or F450. Don't NEED a return hose. Just get some bulk PS/Transmission hose.

4. Either a F-Superduty reservoir for your power steering pump OR a tee fitting for the return lines. I've run both ways and not noticed any difference, your results may vary. If you run the tee, I "think" the brakes go into the straight through but I cant remember. There's a reason why it matters which goes where.

5. Either an F-Superduty master cylinder or you "could" slot out the holes for the bolts to make your master cylinder bolt up. The correct reservoir is ALWAYS the better option.