Brake issues

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I bought my 86 2wd brakes have been sketchy at best, not a huge problem I go into the city once in a blue moon and 99% of driving is on back roads or highway to get to work. Brakes do work but the pedal is almost rock hard, if you ease into it and don't fully release or pump them they work good but slam em down or pump them on ice to slow down things can be sketchy. Pads are good all around and nothing is leaking, I'm starting to lean toward a failing vacuum pump, but my 4x4 doesn't have the vacuum pump hooked up and brakes work great? Every master I've had fail brakes always went soft so don't think that's the issue. Should I replace pump with stock one or upgrade to a better system? Truck does a lot of heavy hauling and have some heavy loads lined up to bring stuff home in the summer, sick of having to rely on trailer brakes without proper working truck brakes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our standard braking system MUST have the vacuum pump. Otherwise the peddle will always be rock hard no matter how easy you apply the brakes. Now the hydroboost brakes do not have a vacuum pump assist system. they run the power to cause the brakes to be easier to function off the power steering pump. But they are still an assist braking system. You vacuum pump is normally found below the alternator and is driven by a belt off the alternator. If you have the serpentine belt set up your vacuum pump wil be near the ac compressor and the power steering pump on the drivers side of the engine up front.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your driving around with no brake boost be it vacuum or hydraulic? Scary!

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vacuum pump is on the passenger side driven off a double pulley on my alternator, is there any way to test it? I know its working, well kind of working if your gentle with it. Might pull the pump off of the 4x4 and see if its working, pretty sure it has the hydroboost done to it but haven't checked yet. Been driving around mostly 60-80km/hr scouting for coyotes heading the 50km to work and 50km home so with downshifting I don't really use the brakes at all until I pull into the driveway to park.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a vacuum gauge on it. I dont know exactly how much it will pull but a gasser pulls about 16 inches idling. If you have that much or more id say its good and you need to look for a vacuum leak.