Brake controller

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I also had a prodigy and sold it. It wouldnt run the electric over hydraulic brakes on our flatbed trailer. The ironic thing is that tekonsha's cheaper controller can and the prodigy can't run the electric over hydraulic. It was a nice controller but fancy doesnt cut it, when it dont work on our trailer!

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a brake controller won't fix the sinking brake pedal problem, I'm just wondering how the problem will effect the brake controller. After thinking about it it should be fine, the pedal sinks very little then firms up.

I'm not in a hurry to get a controller, won't be pulling the camper for a few months so I think I'll wait for the Jordans to be back in stock. From all the reviews I read tons of people like the prodigy but those who have tried the jordan usualy junk their prodigy right away.

Diezel Cowboy, you mentioned electric over hydrolic brakes, what brakes would be a camper form 1983? I assume they will work with a jordan controller?

Thanks for all the imput and links,

-Rob

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
RV's use all electric brakes unless someone has converted the system which is probably not the case. Most farm/equipment trailers are the ones where you see electric/hydraulic systems.

Mel,

Just try an Jordan sometime and you will see the difference - I know I did...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan is starting to sound like the dark side of brake controllers. LOL I'll stay clear! :eek:

LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Actually the Prodigy is the darkside = uses decelerometer - Means your secretly a Vader or Closet Vader :rotflmao

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Actually the Prodigy is the darkside = uses decelerometer - Means your secretly a Vader or Closet Vader :rotflmao

I would have to agree. The Jordan uses mechanical tirgger to apply the brakes or at least sense their application and how much, not fancy smancy electronics like those...:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.... that digital display does indicate the possibility of a microprocessor. I'll have to watch it carefully. :backoff

LOL

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned Brakesmart yet.
Very pricey, but from reviews I have read, it is the BEST on the market. Works off MC pressure. Should be most accurate indication of how much brake is being applied.

Jusy my 2¢ worth.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned Brakesmart yet.
Very pricey, but from reviews I have read, it is the BEST on the market. Works off MC pressure. Should be most accurate indication of how much brake is being applied.

Jusy my 2¢ worth.

Whew! for $435 that thing had better do the dishes too :rotflmao

----------------Robert

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Brakesmart works sort of like the Jordan in that is reads how much pedal movement. Difference is it uses a pressure sensor in the line vs a cable attached to the pedal.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Brakesmart works sort of like the Jordan in that is reads how much pedal movement. Difference is it uses a pressure sensor in the line vs a cable attached to the pedal.

Which could be zero if line pressure is lost for some reason, like a blown line.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull 25K with an older cheap unit and it works fine. I have an Activator II in my '04 work truck and prefer it more, but either stops a trailer.

When I pruchased my new horse trailer I saw a pile of Prodigy crontrollers that were used in their shop. They sell a lot of trailers. I asked why and the shop guy said they have a lot of trouble with them and replace them with a cheaper unit.

If i felt like spending moore money I would get a Jordan. I see alot of guys going down the road with them and they really like them. Bottom line to all of this........ make sure your wired in the back correctly, your brakes are working well on the trailer, and BE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD GROUNDS!!!!!!!! I have actually started to run a seperate ground wire from the trailer ply (trailer side) to the brakes instead of just relying on the ground to the axle as most are. Also make sure you have a good ground wire goin into the plug on the truck side as well. Too many times the ground is expected to go through the ball and it is just isn't reliable when they sit for some time and are not used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online