Bought another gem

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Hey Yall, I have really been enjoying all the knowledge I have gleaned from your forums so I joined up! The information I gathered inspired me to buy an IDI.

Today I took possession of a 1993 f250 XLT extracab turbodiesel (7.3 idi with factory turbo) 5spd in red with gray stripe, it was cheap and for a good reason. The guy I bought it from said a lady had driven it up to his shop last january and said "It started this morning and then died, after that I had to crank it forever to get it started" She then requested a new IP, glow system, filters and injectors. The guy called her with a bill update and she said forget it you can keep it :eek: So they stopped right then and it sat with the new glow system and injectors installed and ip lines half installed for a year. The lady who owned it was clearly a sheep herder and somewhat short of a 6pack. I pulled 150 gallons of trash out of the front of the truck alone! mostly paper thankfully. Some mouse droppings from the year it sat in the yard but no real damage as they had plenty of trash to live amongst. The trash although nasty and annoying to remove seems to have had a positive effect, it protected the carpets and seats really well. The back seat was down and covered by a mat and blankets/ trash and is perfect! Passenger bucket is fairly clean, Drivers seat is dirty and has a small tear.

The guy selling it was very motivated so I low balled him at less than half the asking price and got it for 500$

The good: coolant and oil look good and the turbo looks clean, 170kish (could not verify with bad batteries) no apparent oil leaks and clutch/tranny seems ok paint and clear coat are good New IP, injectors and glow plugs/relay.

The Bad MOUSE POOP and sheep dog hair in the carpet, broken welds on back of drivers bed side, no tailgate, a shattered drivers extra cab window(still watertight), and a couple big dents that look very pullable.

I am really excited to get it fired! I have 4 diesel cars and trucks including a 99psd; Um make that 5 does that qualify me as a compression ignition addict? I have always wanted an idi turbo so I hope it runsLOL. When the weather warms up from -20s I will check the install of the pump and replace the injector install kit, and fuel lines. I have a facet pump on order for it at napa.

The only part (so far) I am missing is the plate on the ip cover that hides the ip bolts...anyone happen to have one lying about or a ford part #

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great deal! I would try and find out where the IP was rebuilt, what injectors & glow plugs were installed if at all possible from the seller/shop just so you know.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's either going to be a good deal or major money pit lol! good luck.sounds like it was worth a shot.;Sweet

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't lose out on that deal, period. You could sell that tranny to recoup that price. Lol.
Glad for you (and just slightly jealous)[emoji2]

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a spare cover. Pm me if interested.

Hell of a deal, I would have picked it up too!
I paid 900 for my 91, put 2200 into it, and sold it for 3k in cash, 87 f350, and a spare 97 7.3 psd.
Well worth it's weight in gold!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a fine deal on that rig. Look at how the injection pump was installed. See if the shop removed the injection pumpp gear cover off the top of the block. That means they removed the pump still connected to the gear and gear cover. Thats the wrong way to replace the pump and usually gets the gears out of time. Then the engine runs poorly if at all. Sadly the po might have just been low on fuel with the generally accepted idea of broken off suction heads in the tanks. Easy fix is a couple of gallons of fuel and your back running. Just never use the last 1/4 tank of fuel because the suction head os gone and wont suck out the last 1/4 tank of fuel. Some here call that last 1/4 tank the holley fuel. We never use it if the suction heads are broken off. Some may even call that the devils cut too...:eek::angel::D Ask any questions here any time. Someone is always online here 24 7 365.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
The IP cover was not removed, bolt cover plate is awol. I PMed you IDIoit The pump looks like it was at least installed correctly, bolts are tight and all the lines are back on the IP the passenger bank is all tight the drivers bank is all loose, The shop owner said they dropped their tools and towed it out to they yard as soon as they got the call. The shop had two other ford trucks in the yard and one in the shop all idi's so at least they seem to work on em a bit. All the parts were ordered from Diesel Pros in bozeman no other info on them at all. The guy said the pump was new not rebuilt? it does look very shiny on that grungy old motor. He sold the wheels and tires off the truck so the truck is on steel wheels and mismatched tires; said he just wanted to recover some of the cost of the IP cant blame him I guess. Still 15 below today so I will take a closer look at it soon.

I was thinking of draining the fuel tanks and refilling, I still have no idea how much fuel is in the tanks till I buy new batteries. If it is say half full can I just treat the diesel after sitting a year and use it or should I syphon and start fresh?

Looks like I will be about 400$ into parts with 2 batteries, facet pump, and injector install kit. Tires will have to wait till it runs. This is the same color truck as mine
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
I found the clamps and screws on top of the motor so I have them and will install when I can move things without breaking them. I broke one side of the glove box trying to dump it out-cuss and quit. I'll post pics later this week.
Michael

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to offer in terms of your starting and/or running issues that wouldn't be repeated, but I wanted to mention your carpets should pressure wash back to being nice. I thought mine were garbage, with caked in mud and matted down grease on the passenger side. Just for an experiment, I took them to the wash bay at work and sprayed them down with generous amounts of engine degreaser and interior clean up spray. After three runs with the pressure washer they're back in my truck. You should have seen the rivers of mud coming out of the carpet.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know how your dent pulling goes, I'm gathering the courage to pick up some cheap bodywork tools and do the same on mine.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel shoukd still be fine after less than a year in your climate, just. siphon a little out & take a look at it to make sure there's no algae floating around in it which i highly doubt there would be.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Ya the dents are big they span the entire lower drivers door and the panel behind the door, but they look shallow, like I can just push them out after pulling the interior panels so I will let you know. The welds on the drivers bed side should be easy if I can find a friend with a welder. I am remodeling my house and don't have a garage at the moment. The garage moves father up my todo list all the time, unfortunately it seem to slip down my wifes list at the same rate. My Millermatic 250 is in storage. I am actually considering tenting the front of the truck and heating it while I get it running lol. I will pull some fuel and have a look before treating it and firing her up, Thanks fellas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7