Bought an '84 Euro 300D Non-Turbo

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
They are. Ol' Bessie is one great ship. Yertle on the other hand is Ol' Bessie's slow brother and he's shaped like a turtle and is green all over. LOL

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Great price. Thanks. Any directions on how to use it with a flush?

Two more issues/questions:

When fully warm what temp does your dash temp gauge read? Mine won't climb past 80*C (160*F) but I know the engine is hotter because I aimed my IR temp gun at the hottest point where the top hose enters the block and saw 90*C (176*F). That still seems not hot enough as compared to my PSD with a 203*F t-stat. What is the optimum coolant temp when fully hot? I'm thinking either the dash gauge or water temp sender are bad. No worries. I'll probably add a Fahrenheit aftermarket water gauge so it doesn't really matter.

The oil pressure dash gauge reads at full (3 on the gauge) while driving and while in park BUT drops to just under 2 while waiting at a traffic light in drive. As soon as I start driving it goes back to 3. Does that seem correct? My oil is a bit low on the dip stick but am waiting for a Fumoto drain valve to change the oil. I'm sending a sample of the old oil to Blackstone for a UOA but really don't know the mileage on the oil.

Both fuel filters and air filter changed so far. It did make a difference.

Gosh I'm loving driving Yertle. Funny thing is that I'm being eyed by many Mercedes drivers. Who knows if they're checking out my car...or who is driving my car. LOL This never happened while driving Ol' Bessie.

Last edited:

tgatch

Reaction score
It is normal for the water temp to read about 80* most of the time. When it is hot mine has hit the upper white mark before the red area then in stop and go traffic. That upper white mark is about 100*. Mercedes manual indicates as long as you aren't up to the red, all is good.

Oil pressure should be pegged at 3 bar when driving. At idle it should be about 1.5 bar. It should immediately return to 3 bar when you press the accelarator.

Here are the directions on the cooling system flush. The only fluid you have to worry about capturing is the initial coolant drain. The rest is mostly water, soap, citric acid and baking soda so you can drain that on the ground with no worries. Make sure to ONLY use Mercedes brand Antifreeze or Zerex G-05 . I had the Napa guy question me, but it clearly shows on the Zerex Bottle that it is to be used by our Mercedes cars.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Owner's Manual recommended tire pressure 32 front and rear? My owners manual is in German and I don't have a US compliant door sticker since it was imported.

I joined the Shuman Automotive Forum. I guess they'll want photos. ;Sweet

tgatch

Reaction score
Yep they will... I'm over there as USMC_YMMOT

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
32 psi?

They asked for a referral and your user name was rejected. No wonder. As always I'm still hheynow. Looks like a good forum. Thanks!

Oh, I called that guy from my over priced citric acid link and asked him what the t-stat was rated. It's 82*C so all is fine, but will still do the flush.

tgatch

Reaction score
tgatch was too short. it needed 6 characters for their site.

The air pressure isn't listed on your filler door?

On edit: Checked mine... 28 front, 32 rear.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Filler door? :dunno
Never though to look there but yup you're right it's there in plain German. LOL

tgatch

Reaction score
I posted a welcome to you over there.... Now you HAVE to post those pictures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance