Bought an '84 Euro 300D Non-Turbo

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Well it took me exactly 12 days on Craig's List to find it and I bought it yesterday. It's an 84 300D Non-Turbo with 132K. Price was a steal. Exterior is a pale champagne lime metallic and the interior is green cloth. Body and paint are well above average and interior has minimal wear with the dash just starting to crack. Absolutely no rust. Engine is immaculately clean. It's imported so the title and registration says NON-U.S.A., has the Euro style steel bumpers, no cruise control, manual windows and is probably a bit different than the US models in other ways not yet known to me (Dual front climate control in USA models???). The hubs are the classic design and match the exterior paint color, but I don't know the exact name for them. Engine and tranny are in remarkable shape and it drives real strong and smooth. I'm the third owner and I have all the service records. It does have a few issues which I accepted when I bought it because soon they all will be dealt with EXCEPT the A/C. Soon I will post a photo of it.

Tom yours looks super clean too. :thumbsup:

So Ol' Bessie the 7.3L old cow will now become my work truck and the yet un-named Benz will be my go-slow-mobile daily driver that soon will be run on vegoil. It's Christmas in August! :thumbsup:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"meta6891"/Seth has your car's sibling. only difference is that his is a bolt action 4spd. Silver ext/ black int.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
the 80' 300g I had designs on got snagged for 16k! Geesh.

Congrats on your snagging that Benz-O

The reason I want a GeleanderWagen is that it's a reliable old diesel 4x4 that isn't the size of my f-250. It's rarity appeals to my wife who would be trading down from an Audi A6 platform AWD to it. There have been times where she would not have gotten home from work in the winter were it not for the AWD, adjustable height suspension and studded snow tires. I figure a gwagen could do the same and burn wvo/svo/wmo.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a '95 E300 Diesel a month or so ago - 262k, everything worked with the exception of the cruise and sunroof- even all the power seat motors work. I replaced the cruise amp $50 on ebay - and the cruise now works. I've gotten parts from buymbparts.com, dieselgiant.com, and gotten lots of good advice from Henry Schuman's site.... I have yet to pull the trigger on a set of CD / DVD manuals for it --- the sites I've found (there are many) are not as interactive or fast moving as other sites I've learned from -- so the DVD's will be required for sure....

Good luck with your benz... so far I'm happy with mine, but only have about 1000 miles on it.

tgatch

Reaction score
Sounds like it is clean man. I want to see those pics soon.

Check the little things like the axle boots on the rear. One of mine let go and the other three look like they are about gone. Good news is I have an inexpensive source for new axle shafts and I just got two.

If you want to make some folks REALLY jealous, post up on www.schumanautomotive.com/forums. They will love it.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Check the little things like the axle boots on the rear. One of mine let go and the other three look like they are about gone. Good news is I have an inexpensive source for new axle shafts and I just got two.

I'm aware that one boot is dry but not leaking. What's your inexpensive source?

I'll take photos later today for the drool fest. LOL

tgatch

Reaction score
Schucks/Checker/Kragen used to carry some reman ones for around $75. I bought new ones through Henry Schuman since I like to support people like him, they were $385 delivered for both total.

There ar two types of rear axles though.

Homokinetic looks like this at booth ends
You must be registered for see images

Annular looks like this at the Diff side
You must be registered for see images

Annulars are easier to change, but are SPENDY. Usually about $400 EACH.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Here's a teaser. Better detailed photos soon. The color in the photo does not do justice to the real color. I'm in the middle of changing the fuel filters and engine oil...then the tranny and radiator. I plan on using the Benz recommended citrus flush.

Tom, after changing the plastic pre-filter which was black :eek: I have an air pocket in the top of it. After priming it fired right up but how does one eliminate that air bubble? Maybe it doesn't matter. :dunno

Attachments

• IMG_0848.JPG
    IMG_0848.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 16

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
engine

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 15

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
interior

Attachments

• IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0847.JPG
    IMG_0847.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
exterior

Attachments

• IMG_0849.JPG
    IMG_0849.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0850.JPG
    IMG_0850.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0846.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

tgatch

Reaction score
Mine always seems to have a small air bubble in it. Hasn't been a problem since I've owned it.

Do you have the procedure on the citrus flush? If not I have it available.

tgatch

Reaction score
Bummer is they did away with the Euro Headlights...

Last edited:

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Mine always seems to have a small air bubble in it. Hasn't been a problem since I've owned it.

Do you have the procedure on the citrus flush? If not I have it available.

I'm thinking if one points the 90* tip up on the pre-filter just prior to connecting it to the hose there will be minimal bubbles. Not an issue.

Nope, but I recall reading about it elsewhere. I'm on information overload between learning how to change every fluid and filter to ordering my vegoil components and can't recall where.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online