Bored at Work

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Allen Bradley....or communist processor?

AB dude... nothing but the best for us - Logix 500 - yes it's an older machine, I prefer to work with 5000 (tag based) so much nicer and easier to add things.

We do have a knock off Automation Direct on one of our machines - talk about a pain in the butt to work with that will drive you to kill someone. I'm just glad that we don't do much with that machine - typically it just collects dust which is fine by me.

This weekend I'm going to be working with a Micrologix on an add on piece of equipment that I'm intergrating into our lines.

RedTruck

Reaction score
The only thing we've done with Automation Direct units is quote them to be replaced/upgraded with an AB processor.

If your applications require faster scan times you might want to concider a compact logix (logix 5000 software with a cheeper processor). They have a little faster processor. You have to pay attention to where you put the power supply on them though. There is some information on the knowledge base about them.

What are you using for operator interfaces?

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a lot of the Automation Direct Koyo's, $125 with 9 inputs and 8 out, easy to program and they are throw away units. Small equipment, good for timers and relays use some on assembly line timers with photo cells.

AB does rule for large latters.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AB dude... nothing but the best for us - Logix 500 - yes it's an older machine, I prefer to work with 5000 (tag based) so much nicer and easier to add things.

We do have a knock off Automation Direct on one of our machines - talk about a pain in the butt to work with that will drive you to kill someone. I'm just glad that we don't do much with that machine - typically it just collects dust which is fine by me.

This weekend I'm going to be working with a Micrologix on an add on piece of equipment that I'm intergrating into our lines.

The only thing we've done with Automation Direct units is quote them to be replaced/upgraded with an AB processor.

If your applications require faster scan times you might want to concider a compact logix (logix 5000 software with a cheeper processor). They have a little faster processor. You have to pay attention to where you put the power supply on them though. There is some information on the knowledge base about them.

What are you using for operator interfaces?

This is interesting to hear. I was on the phone earlier with a guy I just sent a proposal into to build a foam processing/metering unit. He said that they now want me to include all the controls as well not just the fluid processing and sensor inputs.

I normally work with Siemens S7400 PLC's but he told me the customer would not allow Siemens or AB in their plant (bad local customer service on both so they say especially AB) so now my choices are Mitsubishi and Automation Direct because they like those. Damn, now I have to learn another PLC if I want this project. I just got proficient with the Siemens stuff. In fact my head is still hurting. (the 14 month headache)

I have been using touchscreens for operator interface. So much simpler than than buttons and switches. Especially when your customers change what they want often. Just reconfigure the touchscreen, upload the program and thats it.

I use a lot of the Automation Direct Koyo's, $125 with 9 inputs and 8 out, easy to program and they are throw away units. Small equipment, good for timers and relays use some on assembly line timers with photo cells.

How would you rate the DirectSoft software?

I would need at the least the D2-260 CPU for this project. Really cheap probably less than $4000 once all the discreet I/O, analog I/O, ethernet card and HMI are included. That's what the S7 CPU alone cost for this last project.

Siemens has a newish programming language called S7Graph. For doing batching it is a huge improvement over LL. On the 60+ step batch program I did it saved me literally hundreds of steps over Ladder Logic.

Since we have a few automation guys on here what are some of the interfaces you like/dislike out there?

RedTruck

Reaction score
I don't know much about the Mitsubishi processor. I wonder if that's the same as a Telemecanique or Idec processor? I've heard really good things about these two. The software is cheep, and the processors are relatively cheep and pretty robust. The ones I've heard of sound similar to a Micrologix.

RedTruck

Reaction score

I thought about automating the instrument cluster on the diesel at one point in time. As I was looking at processors I found that the Automation Direct units had the lowest temperature rating...and like you say they are cheep. Can you get a unit like that with a high speed counter card? A man's got to have a tach on his automated instrument cluster. I'm thinking the interface would be something like a PanelView...something that's got a back light, and less susceptable to hot or cold.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Since we have a few automation guys on here what are some of the interfaces you like/dislike out there?

Are you talking interface software or actual interfaces?

As far as software...I think Wonderware is the Cadillac. RSView32 is good for an application that is going to have a very small number of operator interfaces. RSViewSE is good if you have a lot of operator interfaces...but keep it simple. I've done work at plants that have used the Intellution Dynamics. I've never done anything with it, but customers sure do like it.

As far as interfaces I really do like the PanelView Plus. They did a nice job when they came out with that. Very similarly priced to the old PanelViews.

As far as an industrial touch screens. I don't think you can go wrong with an Advantech. They don't create as much heat as some of the other ones, and they really test the heck out of them.

Paul

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know for all of us in the basement driving mechanical trucks and shying away from the dark side, electronic diesels, there are sure a lot of computer geeks down here. I guess though we all get tired of what we work on. I hate cars after 5:30. The braniacs hate computers. Lets all be glad that were not gynecologists!:rotflmao

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please don't confuse me for a brainiac. I'm just simple guy who learned too much. Now I have to deal with that too.

Redtruck, thank you for answering my question. These are all new names for me. I am still cutting my teeth so to speak in this environment. And truthfully I was interested in both software and hardware. I am having to step outside my envelope again so now I have a bunch on new things to investigate.

Why again did I think it would be good to do something besides welding pipe? I long for simpler times.

Which is why I suppose I like my mechanical diesel so much. Few wires.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Please don't confuse me for a brainiac. I'm just simple guy who learned too much. Now I have to deal with that too.

Redtruck, thank you for answering my question. These are all new names for me. I am still cutting my teeth so to speak in this environment. And truthfully I was interested in both software and hardware. I am having to step outside my envelope again so now I have a bunch on new things to investigate.

Why again did I think it would be good to do something besides welding pipe? I long for simpler times.

Which is why I suppose I like my mechanical diesel so much. Few wires.

Amen brother...If you need a hand with the Rockwell crap PM me. I myself wish I was still digging holes for the telephone company.

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726