boost

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the sounds of the replies you guys are throwin out numbers and suggestions for a STOCK turbo.he is runnin the BDP dominator turbo.i dont believe you can swap the housing on it.i bet if he called bdp about it ryan would say the same things im saying.larger turbo requires more fuel.i bet when he does the injectors he will be in the 40+psi range and will be askin about head studs next

bdixon2138

Reaction score
You are absolutely right about the mileage being down. I went from 20 around town to about 16. I knew that I would need more fuel to spin the turbo, but wanted to add air before fuel. I have an intercooler but just have not installed it yet. The boost was around 10 psi completely stock and I have not been able to get a definite answer about what it should be.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If your boost was that low stock, then obviously the larger turbo didnt cause that. Which is why I am saying that because you have a larger turbo does NOT mean that you dont have the fuel to spin it. Sounds like you didnt have the fuel to spin a stock turbo.

Now, we all know that a stock turbo should be fueled by stock injectors...so if you are following my reasoning, something else is up. Now you may need injectors, maybe they need to be rebuilt, who knows. What I'm saying is is that since you went with the larger turbo, thats not the only cause, as you had low boost with the stock charger.

bdixon2138

Reaction score
You are correct, you cannot swap the housing on the Dominator 66. It is rated to 40 psi, however I have never been above 15. I did speak with Ryan at BDP and he told me that with the stock injectors, I would see about the same boost as stock. The power band is different though.

bdixon2138

Reaction score
This is my point exactly. I had low boost completely stock. If I was supposed to get 18-20 psi, I was getting 5-8 psi. This is with no mods except exhaust and intake. I swapped out the turbo because the truck suddenly started burning oil. The new turbo stopped all of the oil consumption, but boost has remained the same. The truck sat in a garage for nearly 3 years and was not used at all.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No I totally understand what you are saying.

His low boost has nothing to due with the larger turbo. His stock turbo had low boost.

Now, to figure out why. How about spraying some soapy water on the intake boots? If you see bubbling, there's a leak. If you do do this, and most will probably say dont, just make sure you dont get any wiring wet. Dont know if it will do damage, but better safe than sorry.

What about the up-pipes, have you inspected them?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he shouldve fixed the low boost before upgrading the turbo.but now everything has been apart and im sure the up pipe donuts and collector gasket have been replaced so he shouldnt have an exhaust leak unless it has a leak at the heads.all intake boots im sure are nice and tight with no leaks.when he does the intercooler he will lose another 6PSI across the cooler.gonna say he has a leak or something then?

you need the fuel to spool the turbo.untill it has the fuel its calling for your boost is gonna remain low,egts will remain rediculously high,fuel mileage will be low and your power will be low.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swapped out the turbo because the truck suddenly started burning oil. The new turbo stopped all of the oil consumption, but boost has remained the same..

His low boost has nothing to due with the larger turbo. His stock turbo had low boost.

obviously his stock turbo was junk hence the low boost with it.now hes got a larger turbo than stock.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I'm running almost the identical setup with the only difference being I have stage 1 sticks from Cass/ Bean.

My boost cruizing empty is almost nothing but if I step into it to pass or something, instantly at 10 psi. If I stomp it, I've seen the boost jump to 30 or better. I also have an IC installed which doesn't seem to slow it down much. I also think I DO have a leak at the uppipes because I didn't replace the doughnuts. But I'm still seeing those boost numbers.

My EGT's run anywhere from 400-to 1200 empty or towing, doesn't matter. I think it's a bit hot myself but I keep an eye on it.

I'm with Rich, you need some sticks. Hope that helps