boost question

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
Okay i just got my boost gauge hooked up last week and i have a few questions now. When do your trucks start to make boost? My truck will not make anything under 2000rpms, if i just go easy from a stop like only taking it up to 1800 or so it dosent make anything. Under full throttle I have seen about 8-9psi max. I dont have the pyro hooked up yet thats tomorrows project. The fuel is turned up 3 flats. Is this normal or do i have a leak or something?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds normal. The turbo will only make boost when there is a load on the engine. The wastegated ATS will make boost below 2000 RPM when loaded and if needed. I've had my Banks start making pressure just below 1000 RPM when hualing about 2 ton of sod in the bed of the truck, climbing up a hill from a dead stop.

Empty, just driving normally, what you are seeing is normal.

Get the pyro too..........it is more important (in my opinion anyway..:D) than the boost gauge.

Heath

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
okay thanks man, the pyro is going in tomorrow. I have only made two short runs up the road since putting in the boost gauge and turning up the fuel. Maybe when i get the pyro in i will hook up the boat trailer to see how she tows:D

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with those numbers. I have to be past 2500 to see that kind of boost from my non gated turbo.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I start to build boost around 1,900 rpm's with my non wastegated ATS (085?/088?). Boost raises nicely after that point. Can get boost to build a little sooner if starting off on a hill or incline.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 2000 RPM I can manage 5 PSI without smoke. However I know that my compressor wheel has some nicks on it and I detected some minor warping of the blades with my mirometer. Its probably not working as well as it should. Sure wish I could see 9 PSI @1900 RPM.....

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
At 2000 RPM I can manage 5 PSI without smoke. However I know that my compressor wheel has some nicks on it and I detected some minor warping of the blades with my mirometer. Its probably not working as well as it should. Sure wish I could see 9 PSI @1900 RPM.....

I don't hit 9psi until around 2600 rpm's, and under hard acceleration or under a load. I can get 5-7psi almost without even trying, in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck will hit 11 psi without a problem at around 1900 rpms unloaded. But I also shorten my wastegate rod. Like said above though I also do not build any boost at lower rpms unless I have a good load on the truck.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
okay pyro is in. it wasnt nearly as bad as i thougt it was going to be. I made a quick run down the road and i am seeing 500-600 at 55mph and about 1 pound of boost. Now i got to go put the wheel well back in and go for a real ride:peelout.

My only question is where are you guys tapping in for power for the gauges? right now i have it rigged with jumper wires.