blue halogen or incandescent??

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
80-86 trucks used sealed beams

I did the relay mod and hooked straight to the output of the alternator and have been very happy. Everyone that rides with me at night says my headlights are bright.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80-86 trucks used sealed beams

I did the relay mod and hooked straight to the output of the alternator and have been very happy. Everyone that rides with me at night says my headlights are bright.

Stock lights are sealed beams, I agree fully with you on that, as soon as you change those out, and install replaceable bulbs that leave the lens housing they are no longer stock sealed beams are they

But in that, the Free Form reflectors style with clear lens if designed correctly are truly quite a remarkable upgrade...but those facets need to be designed accordingly.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i purchased a set of the sylvania silverstars and havnt put them in yet but do they come with the relay harness to help with brightnes???i seen how lmc truck had them in there with there hid lenses and bulbs

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i purchased a set of the sylvania silverstars and havnt put them in yet but do they come with the relay harness to help with brightnes???i seen how lmc truck had them in there with there hid lenses and bulbs
Nice.....good luck whith those

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

No they dont. the silverstars work well as a basic upgrade but definatly get the headlamps off the stock head light switch wiring.

I shove them in a few of the econoline 15 passenger vans that still run sealed beams and they work well. No comparo to the composite headlamp housing.

As for HID conversions Warden. A properly done HID conversion with mechanical limiters work well for HID's. the problem is 99% of people don't do it correctly. I have HID's in my 84 Mercedes. It has the vacuum headlamp adjustment knob in the dash so i can adjust my headlamps depending on who's i the back seat. I put a mechanical limiter i the housing so it doesn't shine up into people's faces.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Stock lights are sealed beams, I agree fully with you on that, as soon as you change those out, and install replaceable bulbs that leave the lens housing they are no longer stock sealed beams are they

But in that, the Free Form reflectors style with clear lens if designed correctly are truly quite a remarkable upgrade...but those facets need to be designed accordingly.

The lights he was looking at and the lamps on his truck currently are sealed aren't they?

If you look closely i put a link for a upgrade to put a h4 bulb in his truck.

but doing that upgrade with the h4 without upgrading the wiring is pointless IMO.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lights he was looking at and the lamps on his truck currently are sealed aren't they?
Yes YES the stock slant nose head lights are sealed and came that way from the factory, I forgot they had sealed beams in the early 80's I appoligize.

How ever if the lights are those euro ones with multi faceted reflectors with H4 bulbs they are not sealed beams, nor are Cibi Bosh Hella replacement lights if they use the H4 bulb.

If you look closely i put a link for a upgrade to put a h4 bulb in his truck.

but doing that upgrade with the h4 without upgrading the wiring is pointless IMO.

Nope don't be putting any H4 in thar if you do not plan on a relay upgrade, Even if your just putting some True Sealed beam halogens it's actually worth it to do the relay mod just for the added insurance of less load on switch and more current available to the bulb.

The bulbs going into my OBS factory lenses are on this page

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/bulbs/high-performance-xenon-blue-bulbs/

Model
H83175122
100/80
Off-Road Only
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLA-H83175122/

Now up here in igloo ville...aka Canada I paid more n what Summit wants...that's fer sure! I would liked to have had Yellow ones but eh...it's what I got...now to try some of the fancy Free Form faceted style lens housings...instead of stockers or like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-96-FORD-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a68174afa

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Has anyone found an E code conversion for the 6054? I've been looking around, but cant find any that say they are E code.

If they dont exist i'd be perfectly happy with glass lenses........

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Gonna have to save up for those puppies! Ouch!

Find yourself a mercedes salvage yard. ALOT of the older mercedes used the H6054 sealed beam when they were federalized. Many converted back (not the true full faced euro lamps) but to a housing built by hella to use the h4. very similar to what you see up there, just without the crazy price tag.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Find yourself a mercedes salvage yard. ALOT of the older mercedes used the H6054 sealed beam when they were federalized. Many converted back (not the true full faced euro lamps) but to a housing built by hella to use the h4. very similar to what you see up there, just without the crazy price tag.

What models should I look for?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have HID light and I love them but I think I blind people a lot becuase people tend to flash their high-beam lights at me when I drive by.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I have HID light and I love them but I think I blind people a lot becuase people tend to flash their high-beam lights at me when I drive by.

well if you just "stuck" in HID's without modifiying the housing then you are most likely blinding the crap out of people infront of you.