Blown head gasket

91fordwith69l

Reaction score
About to dive into replacing my first head gasket, wondering if there are any recommendations for a preferred product for holding up when I boost psi?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And do the 6.9 cooling mod if you have a 7.3. If 6.9 then nothing to worry about there for cooling as it's already done.

What PSI are you going for?

91fordwith69l

Reaction score
Thanks y'all, it's odd cuz it's 6.9 dropped in place of what used to be 7.3 bus, swapped out pre '05. The_Josh_Bear does that mean I ought to cooling mod? I don't have any record of the work pre 05 either. All gen maint 05-present. Looking at avancing a little, moose boost, turbo, ~15psi, valve rebuild with 7.3 rockers and springs, and looking into y'all's tips. Does it matter with this tractor to machine the heads while they're off? I'm guessing it's run 70-200 miles since the heads started leaking but it was still purring like a kitten, just a bit more temp sensitive.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a 6.9 and you order 6.9 gaskets then you're good to go.

What is the HG leaking? If coolant you might be able to re-torque the head bolts one at a time to get it to stop, worked for me.

Then again if you have a nice build going, don't let me stop you. :popcorn

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto on check your oil cooler. That is much more common of a reason you get coolant in the oil. (The rubber o-rings get hard and crack and fail. Then the oil or coolant can transfer into the other.) Did you overheat or did something else cause you to think it’s a head gasket failure?

Now if your radiator does not have oil (Not saying oil cooler seals always show up as oil in the radiator, rather another check point.) and your seeing lots of pressure or lots of gurgling at the radiator cap then to your point likely a head gasket.

Looks like from your pick and title you likely have a 6.9 so cavitation is not as likely. Usually the head gasket, head, and block will reveal a head gasket failure. But if you have one cylinder that looks odd and the head gasket looks ok, check the cylinder walls carefully. You are looking for a pin hole so hard to find.

91fordwith69l

Reaction score
When I found the oil in radiator and coolant in oil pan I called the previous owner, old friend of mine who knows nothing about auto, and said it overheated in the last 90 miles before I bought it.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If oring #3 splits your coolant will mix with your oil. If oring #4 splits you get a puddle of oil under your truck. I would think oil cooler before head gasket. Do you see any water trails anywhere on the head?

Attachments

• 64DF9594-AAC9-447D-9A2B-A2D8B2496901.gif
    64DF9594-AAC9-447D-9A2B-A2D8B2496901.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance