Blowby

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much white smoke should i see when i remove the oil filler cap after the motor has been run and gotten to operating temp?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Someone with many many more miles than most I know gave Me a good advice on this Check Your oil consumption first, that is what matters most bc the vapors some times could be confused for blowby and the oil as You know is hot so it could be normal up to some point to have a bit of a mist. Regardless I love the fog I have around at a stop light but My engine only burns about 1 qt every 3k miles.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I'm counting on... I have plenty blowby, not much oil consumption. What we tend to worry about is massive smoke coming out of the filler especially puffing to just one cylinder.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I have a good deal of smoke come out of mine. but only go through about 2 quarts every 15000 or so, and thats mostly from a damn leak.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually puffs are bad. A steady stream is more desireable, and depending on wear, the answer could be LOTS, and you'd still be OK.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 400k km on mine, and it blows like a bloody steam kettle. But leaks oil like a sieve.

I tried an RDT for a bit, but quit after embarassing myself while idling in the drive-thrus.

mejonz

Reaction score
I've got 400k km on mine, and it blows like a bloody steam kettle. But leaks oil like a sieve.

I tried an RDT for a bit, but quit after embarassing myself while idling in the drive-thrus.

they just hate it when you add more seasoning to their foodLOL

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
1500 is correct sorry bout the typo. But i know where the oil is going, right on the driveway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin