block worm?!?!?!

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I just got done doing studs, head gasket set, g code injectors, return lines, gps, steering gear box, high pressure hose, upper radiator hose, heater hoses, steering coupler, and I copper coated the head gaskets. literally almost every part of this truck is new unfortunately my receipt stack is 6,390 with cost of truck and now that everything is done I still have alot of pressure in my upper and lower hoses and I mean alot it comes on from cold start in about 5 min and my top hose is solid with pressure anyways pics coming soon and I'm on the hunt for a new block now so just venting/seeing what you guys think

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to put a test cap on the system to check the coolant pressure. all water cooled engines will pressurize the cooling system on first start after a cool down because of cooling down pulls coolant from the overflow tank. If the system pushes alot of coolant out every time the engine is started then knowing the pressure at start up will help the diog of the problem. The IDI has a high volume water pump if flows alot of coolant. Don't panic do the coolant system test before doing any thing like junking the block.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I can't barely squeeze my upper or lower hose they are so tight. and I get pressure starting almost instantly even before the engine is warm and once it is warm my hoses are rock solid

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I can't barely squeeze my upper or lower hose they are so tight. and I get pressure starting almost instantly even before the engine is warm and once it is warm my hoses are rock solid
Doesn't sound good. Before you tear anything down, do a cooling system pressure test with all of the glow plugs removed. If you do this with the crankshaft in several different positions (such that all eight of the pistons are at BDC during the pressure test for some period of time), you should be able to determine which hole has the cooling system leak. It's possible to get some coolant into the oil during this test as well.

Having either the injectors or glow plugs (easier) removed is key - you don't want to hydrolock the motor and cause even more damage (no reason to ruin a perfectly good connecting rod).

Once you have the leak location isolated or at least narrowed down, you'll know where to look when it's apart. You MAY luck out and just have a head gasket issue (did you check head and block deck for flatness before reassembling?) or a cracked head, you never know. Let's hope for the best.

I always do the hose-squeeze pressure check when I go to look at a used diesel because of this exact same issue. I always insist that the motor is stone-cold when I go to see it so I can start it cold. If you have rock-hard hoses within the first minute or two, something is definitely wrong.

Sorry to hear about this, BTDT, not fun, but at least it didn't leave you stranded somewhere while on a family vacation . . .

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You MAY luck out and just have a head gasket issue (did you check head and block deck for flatness before reassembling?) or a cracked head, you never know. Let's hope for the best..[/QUOTE]

no I did not send the head off to be checked

when it was torn down I did 2 rotations checking every cylinder all the way to the bottom
only on the driver head second cylinder back it appeared to have had something in that cylinder ill get pics up soon

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no I did not send the head off to be checked

when it was torn down I did 2 rotations checking every cylinder all the way to the bottom
only on the driver head second cylinder back it appeared to have had something in that cylinder ill get pics up soon

So you didn't check either the block or heads for flatness (you don't have to send them out, just use a precision-ground straight edge and a feeler gauge)? That could be it right there.

And just to be clear, you did a visual inspection of each cylinder bore for pinholes while it was torn down?

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I was checking for anything at all weong with the cylinders and the tryck never got hot just stated.pushing exhaust gasses into the coolant one day

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online