Block heater location, 86 6.9

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. My dad is having a bit of a time getting his truck running on below 32 deg days. Where are the block heaters located on these things typically and where is the cord usually hidden? It may not even have one since the engine was replaced, but I want him to look before he adds something. FYI, he is in southeast Idaho where they can go for long periods and not get above freezing. He needs this thing to start without too much difficulty. And yes, I am going to have him test the glow plugs to make sure none are bad.
Travis..

gandalf

Reaction score
The stock block heater is usually installed in place of a freeze plug on the passenger side of the block, more toward the front than the rear. The power cord generally goes out through the grill, or over the top near the passenger side battery. On the other hand, the cord location doesn't matter if the block heater isn't there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most 6.9 owners removed their block heater cords. No sense tempting fate, no matter what your serial number is.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
At work I usually find them just above the starter. I can usually see it through the wheel well on the passenger side by lifting the inner fender and shining a flashlight in. If you see it and find its bad MAKE SURE TO USE NEW ORINGS. I have had them fall out completely, and some just leak, but odds are it wont reseal.

punk

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to my dad this morning, he found it. It is in the rear freeze plug location on the pass side. The previous owner coiled up the wiring and tucked it out of sight. I was sure there was one on there, but he didn't see it right off so he assumed it didn't have one. He's gonna leave the truck out tonight and do some experimenting tomorrow morning on the best way to start it.
Travis..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online