Block heater

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by rsaltaresjr, Nov 8, 2018.

1. rsaltaresjr

rsaltaresjr Registered User

This should be quick and easy. Has anyone installed the F7TZ6A051AA 7.3 psd block heater on their 7.3 idi? I’ve got a threaded plug above my oil filter head right where you’d find the oem block heater on a 7.3psd. I really don’t want to f*ck with a freeze plug type heater. I’m not at all interested in the in line hose heater, tank heater or an oil pan heat pad. I don’t have any starting problems, I’m just looking to have cab heat at start up. Thanks in advance.

2. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I can't remember right off hand. Are the threads the same size between the two oil coolers?

3. rsaltaresjr

I don’t know, I don’t have access to a 7.3psd for comparison. I just figured that if it’s doable someone out there would have done it by now. I really don’t want to jack with the freeze plugs. I don’t want to create a problem where there is none.

4. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

The plug that I seem to recall being in the "same" location as the heaters on the PSD is 1/4"NPT. I'm sure that the PSD heaters are much larger than that. Maybe 1/2"NPT? That's why I was asking.

5. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Also, your truck should already have a freeze plug style heater so it wouldn't be messing with them. If there's a freeze plug in the hole above the starter,then it's wrong and should be removed.

6. rsaltaresjr

There is no block heater anywhere on this engine. Not sure why, I really thought they all came with one out of the factory. It’s really not a need thing as much as it is a want. I’m in north Florida so a cold morning here is usually not anything to be concerned with. I wouldn’t mind having the heater core circulating some hot water right off the bat though for the few times that we do have a frosty morning. I don’t want to remove a functional freeze plug even if it’s not supposed to be there. I appreciate for the replies though.

7. austin92

austin92 Full Access Member

Why are you against the other kind of heaters? Is there something wrong with them? I have an 83 so I’m scared to fix the factory block heater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Cubey

Cubey Full Access Member

Youre positive there's no heater? It really hides if the cord isn't attached. I bought a new kit ($30) just for the cord, as mine was rotted to hell.

Mine:

20181109_154005.jpg 20181109_153938.jpg

Duke57 and renjaminfrankln like this.