Block heater "hums" when plugged in

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm working on getting my IDI ready to drive this winter (oh wait, I'm already running late 2" on the ground right now), and right now the glow plugs are shot. I've been plugging it in, in order to get the thing to start so I can move it around. However, I plugged it in tonight and I heard a rather loud humming sound. It was similar to what you might hear on a fish tank pump or other small electric pump.

I'm a little confused as to what this might be, any ideas? I haven't check for an open circuit yet, as it's currently past my bedtime.

Thanks for any info.

mR

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Is this louder than the normal buzz? Mine makes a buzz/gurgling sound when its working. Might just be normal?

Thad

DragRag

Reaction score
Is it coming fron the heater itself or where it plugs in? If it is coming from the cord, cut the end off, and put a new one on. It will usually be extra warm on the plug if it is going bad to.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Block heaters hum, mine does it too, that's how I know it's working (sometimes I forget to plug the other end of the extension cord into the wall outlet)

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just never had one this loud before. I can actually feel the vibration in the radiator if I hold my hand on it. It is not coming from the cord end or anything.

mR

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well heck, I dunno man, I haven't plugged mine yet to check for that, I don't plug in till I start seeing sub-freezing temperatures on daily basis.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's been working for a week or so now, so I'll just run it, but it's parked inside my garage now, and I just didn't want to burn the place down. :)

mR

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
they do that. no worries.... It comes from the heater being excited by the electron flow and a combo of heat transfer to the coolant - way deep electrical theroy can explain it....

My electric skillet does the same thing... It's natural....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
they do that. no worries.... It comes from the heater being excited by the electron flow and a combo of heat transfer to the coolant - way deep electrical theroy can explain it....

My electric skillet does the same thing... It's natural....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online