Block Heater check up, advice on testing it with a meter???

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So of course after I've got the engine almost ready to fire, I think about checking the block heater...cookooAnd since our weather is staying cold.
(Maybe I noticed it laying underneath hooking up exhaust)
Anyway, curious if a person can put a volt meter on the cord end and get a reading...?? And what those readings could mean???

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First check the cord for continuity. Unplug both ends and test the wires with a ohms meter or continuity tester. There are 3 separate wires- center one is ground and 2 outer ones are live. Look for damage such as opens and shorts, and replace if necessary.

If the wire is OK connect ohmmeter to the 2 terminals of the element (block heater)There should be a very low reading almost zero. If the ohmmeter shows the heating element to be open (infinite ohms) replace block heater.

hopefully that helps.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it does help, I'm pretty sure it works, but I'm wondering if some reading/resistance can tell how well its working...
The heater worked last year, but just to make sure.
Of course when I get close to starting it, I'll plug it in and listen for the sizzle..

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plug it into a kill-a-watt or use to see the draw. A clamp type meter may work too. They are 1000w elements, right? Some math will tell you the total draw.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my plumbing background when I test water heater element they usually read 12.5 ohms(that's a good one) but they are 4500 watt elements.

Robt.Webster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my plumbing background when I test water heater element they usually read 12.5 ohms(that's a good one) but they are 4500 watt elements.

I think that you will find the resistance of the block heater to be ~16 ohms. If you find an open circuit at the plug, test directly at heater itself. If it's good there, work your way along the cable by piercing the insulation starting at the plug until you get a normal reading. Just a note, if you have left the cord hanging out of the grill, you will most likely find the break close to there as the factory cable is not too robust, and flapping around in the breeze tends to break the wire internally. If it's there, you can install a new plug downstream of the break.

Good luck!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checked the one I have in my toolbox. Brand new in the box. It tested to 32 ohms.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. This one was small, but has a nice cord on it. I bought it for the cord really!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online