Block Heater 240 volt mains

jayel73

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know the specs for the block heater, whether it'll handle 240 volt mains?
Step down transformer is a possibility...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking it wont hanle twice the usual power required but.... If it did handle it probably wouldn't be for very long....:dunno

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Wouldn't upping the voltage just make it run at a lower amperage and hence same power?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just get a travellers plug in adapter that will handle the wattage of the heater. Most of the ones designed for high output hairdriers will do the trick, either that or put a 240 block heater in the thing. If the truck was sold there originally, then the block heater in teh thing would be a 240v block heater and all you need is a new plug that you can pickup at a local dealer or parts supplier.

I've has a number of European cars that came directly from Europe with 240v block heaters in them, they look just like their 110v counterparts in appearance, only difference is the plug.
I have one car that came from Finland and that sucker was WIRED! it had a 240v block heater, 240v wiring running into the passenger compartment to run whatever other heaters and bloweres, and it had an Eberspacher diesel fired block heater for when it was someplace where it couldn't plug in.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The impedance(or resistance) of the heater would stay the same, so doubling the voltage will double the amperage and the output of the heater. It would probably burn out in a short time, or overheat the wire to it.

If you wanted a quick solution, you could buy another heater(like one of those that goes into the lower radiator hose) and hook them both up in series. Two 110v heaters in series would handle it.