Block cement to strengthen bottom end?

giezy

Reaction score
Going to do a complete rebuild here on a 7.3 was talking to a diesel builder here and he suggested stud s in the mail with a gurddle of some kind day small amount of block cement to stiffen the bottom end.

My plan was to lower the compression a little with some custom slugs and have them coated to along with head studs. Then building a twin turbo set up for 15 to 20 psi an then talk about what moose pump and injectors to use.

Going to put this in a 86 1/2 ton I have and have a nice little diesel daily driver hot rod still truck my concern is it going to over heat with the cement in the coolest passage s I want longevity out of it to but a tq monster as well

Any helpfull info would be appreciated thanks

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I am more than a little confused :confused: Might be easier to stick with a heavier truck instead of the 1/2 ton?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, fill the crankcase with cement. What idiot gave you those directions. Girdles go on your gut. Search on how to build an 800 HP. Cost is a reasonable $15,000. :rolleyes:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of people doing that sort of thing in race applications. I would strongly recommend against it on anything I was going to drive on the street.

Bottom end failures are pretty un common. R&D sells a stud girdle kit. Unless you are planning on spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to try to make stupid ridiculous power it would handle as much as you probably care to throw at it. Spend your money on quality internals and good machine work if you feel the need. Get it balanced.

My 2 cents.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my advice is to wait a little bit.
as much as I believe this is the best IDI site in the world,
R&D is developing super duty rod mods for the IDI,
he's also working on roller rockers to be competitive with Harland sharpe.
thicker head gaskets in the works.
a lot of cool fecies.
but im just gonna lurk and hope we get pics of rods out of blocks LOL

ive got a few mods on my engine, with a bull moose.
if you want a real hotrod, youre going to have to get a bigger pump than that.
but the biggest limitation youre going to have is 2 things.
1, is that youre still injecting into a pre cup.
2, youre limited on injectors...

are you going to innercool it?

I have a 41 1/2 ton pick up that I will be putting a 7.3IDI in,
twin gtp 38's
I have stainless header flanges, divided intake
t-3&4 flanges.

I will be making a custom innercooler.

im gonna run a bone stock 030 over 7.3 for mock up, and see what I can do about creating a weapon of mass destruction.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with partial filling the block as most of your heat is up high. The issue lies with the oil cooler. Filling the block with block filler will fill in the passages going to and from the oil cooler.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, fill the crankcase with cement. What idiot gave you those directions. Girdles go on your gut. Search on how to build an 800 HP. Cost is a reasonable $15,000. :rolleyes:

Look it up before commenting. It isn't cement. Just a term used for it. But filling blocks either partial or fully is very common.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with partial filling the block as most of your heat is up high. The issue lies with the oil cooler. Filling the block with block filler will fill in the passages going to and from the oil cooler.

do you have a picture of the oil passages? tried looking and struck out on the 5th swing.

I have heard the issue isn't with the bottom of bottom end, it has more to do with block flex, or coolant pressure popping out freeze plugs?

I love these IDI's but its old technology. kinda like trying to run **** on a flathead v-8... it can be done... but its not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Studs for heads
Stud n girdle for mains
Camshaft
Rockers ...rollers
Pushrods
Pistons
Either decomp or non stock hg or....go with regular hg
Balance rotating and recrliprocating assembly
Sleeve and size for piston clearance??
Pistons
Coating pistons etc
Turbo
Water / ****
IC
Injectors
Big *** IP
Zero gap second rings
Screw in core plugs

Be a hella build

JM7.3CW Eh!

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
do you have a picture of the oil passages? tried looking and struck out on the 5th swing.

I have heard the issue isn't with the bottom of bottom end, it has more to do with block flex, or coolant pressure popping out freeze plugs?

I love these IDI's but its old technology. kinda like trying to run **** on a flathead v-8... it can be done... but its not for the faint of heart.
Not talking about the oil passages. Coolant would not flow to the cooler if the bottom is filled. I know someone here has the flow path of both oil and coolant

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the water.

You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like the oil diagram below it but I don't seem to have it handy.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil screen on the pump pickup is 3/8" from bottom of pan.

I was just being a little sarcastic.

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Many do partial fills on a DD.
You can still keep select passages open. Seen some do it.

Problem here is many already have trouble keeping these things cool. I wouldn't wanna add to the problem.
Besides that, I don't think you'll gain any protection.
These ones doing it are making way more power than any idi could even dream of. Lol (not including the mythical hypermax engine)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From my experience filling o partial block filling is not a good idea on the idi engines. Just the thought of trying to "build coolant channels" thru this filler tells me its not an everyday thing. To the original poster. Someone told you to do something. Then you cam here asking questions. Most of the answers are DO NOT DO IT... But some tel you it has been done. It after all is your build and you will do as you see fit. You will never get better information on what works and what does not work as you will from this forum. Very seldom does something new come here that has not been tried before many times.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I see no reason to fill a block to run 15-20 psi, or even decompression. No need for twins at that level either. Newer tech turbos are very different than the dinosaurs that they used back in the day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828