Blinkers/Hazard lights & reverse lights not working

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My blinkers/hazards & reverse lights aren't working anymore. I'm assuming they must be on the same fuse. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thank you!

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, the hazards do work but the blinkers don't, just checked in the parking lot at work (sorry I was driving earlier and it was raining). My guess would be the relay switch in the column? I'm now wondering if the reverse lights being out is a coincidence.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hazards and signals both use separate flashers. I assume you've already checked fuses? Could be as simple as the flasher dying. I THINK the bullnose had the hazard flasher on the BACK of the fuse box, signal flasher should be on the front. Bullnose put the hazard flasher behind the glove box for some reason.......

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Bullnose put the hazard flasher behind the glove box for some reason.......
At least they had more sense with the vans, both are near the fuse panel on the driver's side. I replaced the turn signal one last year because it was getting weak. AutoZone's system didn't know the part "552" on it's own because the dummy to made the database put the part # in the comments instead of in the part # field.

I ended up getting one of these despite being almost twice the price of a 552, since it's a little bit louder. In a van chassis IDI, it makes a difference.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i bought my truck the blinkers and reverse lights didn't work and one day they just started working again the i lost it twice for about 30 seconds in the last 6 months
i have no clue what went on i did nothing to fix it i hope you get as lucky as i did
also how is your neutral safety switch if its an auto a bad one will cause no reverse lights

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
also how is your neutral safety switch if its an auto a bad one will cause no reverse lights
Yep, but it also won't start in park. My F250 is that way. It acts like the electrical dies when you have it turn to crank when in park. It must be in neutral.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i bought my truck the blinkers and reverse lights didn't work and one day they just started working again the i lost it twice for about 30 seconds in the last 6 months
i have no clue what went on i did nothing to fix it i hope you get as lucky as i did

I have a manual tranny. In some ways I wish it would just fix itself but I also want to figure it out so it doesn't happen again - I think the wiring on this thing is quite past stock.

Hazards and signals both use separate flashers. I assume you've already checked fuses? Could be as simple as the flasher dying. I THINK the bullnose had the hazard flasher on the BACK of the fuse box, signal flasher should be on the front. Bullnose put the hazard flasher behind the glove box for some reason.......
Tested the signal flasher on the front and it had continuity (.5) and tried the hazards while I had the fuse off and they still worked so confirmed that the front fuse is for blinkers. Considering it had continuity I sort of still want to try replacing it as this would be the easiest solution, haha.
Found a 15amp fuse that was busted and of course had every fuse but that to replace so I'm going to replace that tonight and see what happens. Doubt it's related to the blinkers or reverse lights though.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the wiring going to your backup switch at the transmission. Mine rubbed through and kept shorting and popping the fuse so I'd lose turn signals and reverse lights.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Update, the hazards do work but the blinkers don't, just checked in the parking lot at work (sorry I was driving earlier and it was raining). My guess would be the relay switch in the column? I'm now wondering if the reverse lights being out is a coincidence.
Some thoughts.

Do your front turn signals or dash turn signals work?

1) Sounds like a fuse or ground issue. But perhaps you found the fuse is burnt.
3) Reverse lights could be a different issue, so good thought. Go at them separately.
3) Check a wiring diagram.
A) Do you have power to the turn signal switch?
B) Do you have power coming from the turn signal switch?

Let us know what you find.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the wiring going to your backup switch at the transmission. Mine rubbed through and kept shorting and popping the fuse so I'd lose turn signals and reverse lights.

I'm not exactly sure how to find that but I will do some research, thanks for the tip.

Some thoughts.

Do your front turn signals or dash turn signals work?

1) Sounds like a fuse or ground issue. But perhaps you found the fuse is burnt.
3) Reverse lights could be a different issue, so good thought. Go at them separately.
3) Check a wiring diagram.
A) Do you have power to the turn signal switch?
B) Do you have power coming from the turn signal switch?

Let us know what you find.

When the hazards are on all lights blink and I think the dash signal might only work on the left side. With the blinkers nothing happens, no exterior lights flashing, no activity on the dash and no clicking from the flasher fuse.

Turn signal switch is referring to the switch inside the column or is it somewhere else?

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a new fuse into that space where the 15amp fuse was busted, turned the key to on, put the blinker on and the light on the dash flashed for a second then the fuse popped and broke again. Must be a short somewhere on the wire. Any ideas on best places to start looking? Are there any stickies for wiring diagrams on the forum?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try replacing or even swapping the flasher first. That's what caused mine to blow. Swapping the hazard flasher to the signals is free to test it.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, so even if there is continuity on the flasher fuse it might be faulty somehow? I'm also going to inspect the wiring going to the cab over camper plug and some at-home wiring done for a trailer hitch (PO). My guess is there is a short back there somewhere.

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are diagrams I find on the subject for a 85. I see flashers and reverse lights on the same fuse of dir-b/u. Power to this fuse is off the ignition switch with GRY/YEL.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

kenaidon

Reaction score
My blinkers/hazards & reverse lights aren't working anymore. I'm assuming they must be on the same fuse. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thank you!
Before I start reading wiring diagram I'd look around at back of truck to make sure trailer wiring isn't damaged as circuits in question are separate.