Black smoke under moderate acceleration

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 270K miles I had the injectors and injection pump replaced by a local shop. The truck used to smoke only at higher elevations - around 8,000' and higher. Now the truck smokes at speeds over 40 when I accelerate. I towed a 3 ton travel trailer a few days ago and it smoked more - a grade made it smoke much worse than it ever did before. I can cut the smoke down by floating the accelerator, but any more pedal and it smokes pretty bad.
I've owned this truck since new and I've towed the same weight trailer a lot over the years. It never smoked before the work was done - except at high elevations. The truck leaves a smudgy haze behind it and I'm not making friends on the roads. There is no turbo, it's a '93 IDI with the EO4D transmission. It doesn't burn oil.
Any suggestions?

gandalf

Reaction score
I'd start by talking with the shop which did the work. Find out what brand injectors they put in, new or rebuilt. Ask them where they got the IP. I'm going to assume that the IP is a rebuilt unit. Ask who rebuilt it. Not all IP rebuilders are equal. Ask them whether they adjusted the fuel intake on the IP. And ask them whether, and how, they timed the engine after they replaced the IP. Report back with your answers.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll do that. The problem is that this work was done almost 2 years ago. The truck has seen little use since then - I will check with the shop.

smokerd

Reaction score
At 270K miles I had the injectors and injection pump replaced by a local shop. The truck used to smoke only at higher elevations - around 8,000' and higher. Now the truck smokes at speeds over 40 when I accelerate. I towed a 3 ton travel trailer a few days ago and it smoked more - a grade made it smoke much worse than it ever did before. I can cut the smoke down by floating the accelerator, but any more pedal and it smokes pretty bad.
I've owned this truck since new and I've towed the same weight trailer a lot over the years. It never smoked before the work was done - except at high elevations. The truck leaves a smudgy haze behind it and I'm not making friends on the roads. There is no turbo, it's a '93 IDI with the EO4D transmission. It doesn't burn oil.
Any suggestions?

smokerd

Reaction score
On my '93 F250 7.3 IDIT, I had a bad black smoke problem that was remedied by advancing the timing on the injector pump...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online