Black smoke and decrease in speed on hill ?

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
So, took the 88 250 7.3 IDI automatic out for maiden voyage hauling new horse trailer. The trailer is a gooseneck with weekender living quarters,aluminum and my lard ass horse that weighs 1100 pounds...trailer is 5500 pounds. Going up the hills in Pennsylvania, I was rolling black smoke,speed dramatically decreased,RPMS stayed at about 2.5. Once we would flatten out...all was good, except my pride when an 18 wheeler passed me on a very small hill and he was fully loaded with steel and his co driver rolled down the window and made motions like I was paddlin a canoe!!! My horse was embarassed too...lol. Mechanic will get me in this week, but any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be a few different things but you need a turbo! Sounds like you're grossing around 11,000 truck and trailer.

Has the timing been checked with a meter? Black smoke could be timing, or someone could have turned the pump up.

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Thanks Chillman as always, would love for the turbo fairy to drop one in the truck,but aint holdin' my breath on that. I think that this truck can handle the light trailer I got....my other one was 12k loaded and had a reason to be slow. Hopefully my boys at the shop can figure this out. Buuuut...got a spare turbo sitting around anywhere??!!!!...lol

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually there's a guy on Facebook that parts these out in Dover PA, are you on Facebook at all?

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suggest to get your trailer weighed with the horse and all your tack , saddle, gear, etc in it. Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't around 9,000 lbs or more loaded.

Living quarters horse trailers get real heavy quick.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
7.3L IDIT with a Banks Sidewinder
ZF 5-spd manual transmission

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Hey there chillman, yes I am on Facebook and if this guy is in PA and can answer some questions it might be helpful! Are turbos really around 3 grand? Yikes then the labor???? Doubtful that gonna happen or am I missing something?

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Suggest to get your trailer weighed with the horse and all your tack , saddle, gear, etc in it. Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't around 9,000 lbs or more loaded.

Living quarters horse trailers get real heavy quick.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Are turbos really around 3 grand? Yikes then the labor???? Doubtful that gonna happen or am I missing something?
New kit prices are around $3k. A lot of times you can find a used kit for a few hundred dollars. Counting labor to have someone install it and even if the turbo needs to be rebuilt, it's still way less that $3k unless you find a rip off shop to do the install.

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Okay....so my other trailer was a 3horse with full LQ's.....went to CAT scales loaded and my read out was at 16410 lbs....tooooo heavy for the F250 and PA law that now requires over 10 K to have a noncommercial CDL(greedy bunch they are) ....so I sold the big trailer and downsized to a 2 horse weekender, all aluminum, and loaded at the CAT scales before I went on the camping trip my read out was 8210 lbs. That truck oughta be able to do better on a hill....but what do I know? Mechanic will be able to take truck in this week sometime.

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
New kit prices are around $3k. A lot of times you can find a used kit for a few hundred dollars. Counting labor to have someone install it and even if the turbo needs to be rebuilt, it's still way less that $3k unless you find a rip off shop to do the install.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there chillman, yes I am on Facebook and if this guy is in PA and can answer some questions it might be helpful! Are turbos really around 3 grand? Yikes then the labor???? Doubtful that gonna happen or am I missing something?

He's at least on a couple of the IDI groups. Look up John Clugston. I've never dealt with him yet but he always has parts or whole trucks on there. Had a whole factory kit on there for.... $950 maybe? At least worth looking into!

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay....so my other trailer was a 3horse with full LQ's.....went to CAT scales loaded and my read out was at 16410 lbs....tooooo heavy for the F250 and PA law that now requires over 10 K to have a noncommercial CDL(greedy bunch they are) ....so I sold the big trailer and downsized to a 2 horse weekender, all aluminum, and loaded at the CAT scales before I went on the camping trip my read out was 8210 lbs. That truck oughta be able to do better on a hill....but what do I know? Mechanic will be able to take truck in this week sometime.
Our old IDIs are workhorses but not powerhouses. An 8k lb trailer will definitely make a NA IDI work ******* hills and grades. It will pull it all day and night, but won't be quick.

New Powerstrokes have more than 3 times the hp and torque so they walk away from our old iron like we are sitting still. Same is true for modern semi-rigs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828