Bio down

hoghunter

Reaction score
just bought a new 07chevy diesel 3 weeks ago. I have been running 50/50 since I brought it home, all fine. Go to costco tonight & wont start at all when we came out. Feels like no fuel is getting to the motor, maybe electric priming pump? dont know. any ideas would be helpful. Thanx

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you on the newer ones but can you pull the fuel filter and see if there is fuel there.

And a little tip.... My nephew is an auto tech at a dodge dealer I was talking to him yesterday and he told me he was working on a newer Dodge with a miss problem when he popped off the fuel line and red fuel shot out - his shop manager seen it and said get the vehicle out of the shop and made him report it to Dodge to void the guys warranty because it was not an approved fuel. He said he asked his shop manager if they would void the warranty for that would they void it for use of bio fuels - he said yes. so just be wary if you take it in for warranty work. Just thought I would pass that along...

hoghunter

Reaction score
I had it towed home just for that reasom. Tomarrow I plan on draining the tank & filter & refilling with straight diesel. I bought it because chevy does waranty the use of bio just not that high a %. I figure after draining & refilling I should register anything more than 3-5% although I am concerned about the fuel left in the lines that I cant get to. Anything else Im not thinking of?

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure on the 07 but from 01 to 06 there is no lift pump. There is a low pressure and high pressure pump all in one unit on the motor. Sounds to me like fuel filter. On mine it doesn't take much to plug the filter. With straight No.2 it will only last about 12,000 mi. before it gives me trouble. I would change the filter first before draining the tank.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just started using Biodiesel and the previous owner didn't replace the fuel filters. BioD is a great solvent. What it probabl did was loosen all of the sludge in the tank. Be prepared to replace the filter often for a while. Keith

hoghunter

Reaction score
update:
Went out this morning and it started fine.
drained the fuel tank to lower the bio % in order to
take it to the dealer
went to dealer & they didnt even want to look at as it was running perfect
"If you just started using Biodiesel and the previous owner didn't replace the fuel filters. BioD is a great solvent. What it probabl did was loosen all of the sludge in the tank. Be prepared to replace the filter often for a while. Keith"
The tuuck is brand new just off the lot 3 weeks ago & Ive been making bio for just under 2 yrs
I guess the filter could be the culprit but with less than 1300 total mi Im not convinced, but I guess i'll switch it out anyhow. I guess my biggest prob is that I dont know what happened to prevent it in the future.
Thanks for all the intrest

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Man don'tcha just hate problems like this... they just seem to fix themselves... but come back later... Keep us updated if it comes back.

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to prime it to get it to start? Maybe an air leak somewhere? Some people have had air leaks around the primer pump on top of the filter and it would cause a no start unless they pumped the primer a couple of times. :dunno

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a theory. You formed a biodiesel clot from the fatty acids that disolved over night. When you heat bio sometime the animal protiens denature and a plugged filter was the result. I would change the filter and keep a spare just in case. Just my thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online