big hp idi

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of desiel experience, but if what you want is increased HP.....is there a way to move the torque curve further out in the rpm band. Since HP is simply a mathmatical calculation of TQ at a certian RPM you could move the torue curve up in the RPM band to get more HP. On gasser engines this is done with a high flow intake/exhaust/cams. Then find a turbo that can push enough cfm at the high rpms. If you had everything balanced, what is the safe RPM'd of these engines?

In short, to make more HP you don't always have to increase the torque.....you can just shift it to a higher RPM. This is how I can get 300hp out of my 3.2L gas engine that makes 260 ft/lbs.

The real question with any build is defining what you are going to use the engine for. Do you need TQ? Do you want HP? What RPM wil the engine be run at?

Lot's of good discussion in this thread. Thanks

Well there are a few ways to move the curve. There is a cam called the J2 can available which is more of a horsepower cam. It also drops compression a lil bit as well so you can run more boost with it. Also the size of turbo has quite an affect as well. Obviously a bigger turbo will spool later which lowers your torque but at the same time, your horsepower is increased due to the turbo having a more efficient compressor.

As for increased rpm, you can use a 4k governor spring from a Chevy diesel but IMO opinion it isn't really worth doing unless your pump is modded accordingly. With most IPs, the fuel drops higher in the rpm. There are ways to prevent that though when it is modified. As far as what needs up be done so that the engine can handle it, I'm not write sure. But like you said balancing is always good and you can always lighten the rotating mass too. And stiffer valve springs like the Comp 910s are a necessity to prevent valve float...

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How will a larger filter cleanup an engine if it is a standard efficency filter? the only thing that changes with a larger PSD filter is the amount of extra oil it holds. other than that nothing is changed.
All your filters you purchase from wally world Napa Discount are 20/40 micron Nominal wich from an efficency point is bare minimum.
Now if you purchase an Wix 1734XE filter Now you have made a huge difference and are catching particles the standard filter just lets pass through.

Javier

just looked up[h=1]Wix 51734XE & Napa 1734XE Oil Filter[/h]
and saw that they filter down to 10 microns. stock 6.9 7.3 idi is 25 microns and the psd is 19 microns. i think i'll go with the wix next time for sure

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score
The only thing holding the IDI back is the lack of aftermarket support. It has been proven by NMB2 and Racindrummin these engines are stout enough to handle enough fuel and boost for 400hp.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how does a cam drop compression other than allowing less air into the engine? 88ford please explain

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how does a cam drop compression other than allowing less air into the engine? 88ford please explain

While a cam doesn't do anything for the static compression ratio, it does effect the dynamic compression (think cranking compression). The cam controls when the intake/exhaust valves open along with how far they open and for how long they stay open. I don't know the exact specs for the cams being discussed, but many aftermarket cams have an increased overlap time (the amount of time that both valves are open). This allows for some of the Intake charge to be lost out the exhaust valve prior to closing. Less volume of air means that less pressure is created when it is compressed into the combustion chamber. That is one reason why on a NA engine people can run a higher compression ratio with a Hotter cam. Of course there is alot more variables that have to be taken into consideration when designing a cam profile.

Or this is my understanding of it.....someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Black dawg

Reaction score

intake valve closing point has a huge effect cranking compression. Adding or losing 10 degrees of intake closing can add or lose as much as 30psi cranking compression.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While a cam doesn't do anything for the static compression ratio, it does effect the dynamic compression (think cranking compression). The cam controls when the intake/exhaust valves open along with how far they open and for how long they stay open. I don't know the exact specs for the cams being discussed, but many aftermarket cams have an increased overlap time (the amount of time that both valves are open). This allows for some of the Intake charge to be lost out the exhaust valve prior to closing. Less volume of air means that less pressure is created when it is compressed into the combustion chamber. That is one reason why on a NA engine people can run a higher compression ratio with a Hotter cam. Of course there is alot more variables that have to be taken into consideration when designing a cam profile.

Or this is my understanding of it.....someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes that's pretty much it. Take my mustang. 4.6 sohc 9.8-1 compression and a twin screw at 16 psi. It put down 570 HP with a manual trans on 91 octane. The reason it survives is the cams take the dynamic cr down.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep essentially dropping dynamic compression with a cam is an easy way to allow you to run higher boost without modifying the piston.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oooooh this thread is getting technical...i like it!

i am sure someone already said this........yup, dynamic compression and exhaust valve staying open. done and done. darn this forum rocks

Black dawg

Reaction score
oooooh this thread is getting technical...i like it!

i am sure someone already said this........yup, dynamic compression and exhaust valve staying open. done and done. darn this forum rocks

maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but exhaust valve has nothing to do with compression

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could fit an inline pump on the engine in two fashions - like hypermax did with custom intake and hood mods or put it where the AC compressor is and either chain drive or a custom gear housing... People will complain about fuel line length but there are ways to make it same sized but I doubt an old engine design will want perfection.. the indirect nature has some variability in it...

Most people lack the need, want, drive, or skill/money to do those though. I have seen a tractor on youtube running dual db2s or db4s, i forget but i think they were belt driven..!

idibeast

Reaction score
I really like the idea of twin db2/4 pumps, but not the idea of belt drive, could they bolt together through the timing gear with longer bolts, talk about an awsome set up

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had a crazier idea, if the gm dbs rotate oppositely, what about running one off the gear opposite a normal pump? No room for the fan, but e fans seem to be the better route.

Less machining maybe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online