big exhaust pipes

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
getting close to starting my truck up.... well the exhaust is shot! so i have the chance to get the complete pipes off an old school bus, what will i need to do first? and how should i run it? I'll get pics soon, i also can get some extra filters off it too.... not sure what they are fuel and oil? they are on the frame not much else left

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just a guess here, but I used to work on a fleet of the beasts and the pipes off a bus aren't going to be a bolt in. They will most likely be longer from the exhaust manifold connecton to where they turn back,( engine sits higher and the pipes have to go further down to get under most bus frames. Those things are high enough off the ground to where they don't worry about tucking the pipes up for ground clearance ) so plan on doing some cut and weld to fit if you try that. Never know, you might get lucky.

---------Robert

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
What ever you do put a big muffler on it, NA 6.9's are terribly loud without a good muffler and with duals they are even worse. Been there-done that!

Jim

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
The bigger the pipe's, the quieter. My 86 had true dual staight pipes 2.25" all the way back, and it cackled like 460 with glass-packs. Now I have a y-pipe, going into 3", then into a 6" cross tube sitting on top of the frame rails behind the cab. From there it exits out 5" stacks. Muck quieter than the smaller pipes, and sounds awsome when you pour the juice to it. It does bark pretty load about 3,000 rpms if you got your foot into it.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
i didn't think it would just bolt up? i just wanted some ideas what to do
with it? i tried to get it off, some of the hangers came off but i could only get one of the couplings off. i try again later, i did score a fuel filter and mount, and i think a tranny filter!:thumbsup:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, you'll probably need a torch or maybe you could get away with a dremel or other electric grinder with a cutoff wheel. Don't plan on getting any of that stuff off in one piece.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
i might be able to cut the coupling off or maybe the bolts on the coupling? i will try to get it off in 4 parts, muffler, straight pipe, over axle, tail pipe. will see?;Sweet

SKimballC

Reaction score
Dude, sawzall. Its gonna have to be welded later anyways. Just make clean straight cuts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online