Big Allison Autos

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I've been seeing more MD manual trans swaps into pickups. Has anyone heard about/seen a 545 or 643 Allison auto installed? Anyone know how to hop them up?:cool

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way I know is to sell the SAE3 adapter on ebay and toss the Allison in the scrap pile. They are garbage transmissions from a functional standpoint. ATH400 with an extra gear.

If you want to fully experience the glory of the 545 drive a 26K or so Binder chassis with DT466 and 545 combo. The engine blows through the converter the whole time. The engine spends it's entire life on it's governor.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Yep, 545's need help, but Suncoast can make em work better. The MT643/653 is better, but bigger. They actually have a lockup converter, but dont shift all that fast.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The best way I know is to sell the SAE3 adapter on ebay and toss the Allison in the scrap pile. They are garbage transmissions from a functional standpoint. ATH400 with an extra gear.

If you want to fully experience the glory of the 545 drive a 26K or so Binder chassis with DT466 and 545 combo. The engine blows through the converter the whole time. The engine spends it's entire life on it's governor.

Oh, I've had the displeasure in rental trucks, I was just curious as to whether some things could be done to increase strength, adjust lockup points, etc. to get the slip and slide out of these mechanical transmissions and make them work like a proper unit. I've driven trucks with the MD3060 ( don't quote me on the model ) with the computer controls and it made for a good driving experience.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The MD3060 will give the best offerings for a med duty auto. They have the lockup converter in 2-6(unless it's a 5 spd). Overdrive in the 5 spd version, and double OD in the 6 spd.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The MD3060 will give the best offerings for a med duty auto. They have the lockup converter in 2-6(unless it's a 5 spd). Overdrive in the 5 spd version, and double OD in the 6 spd.

Do you need an electronic diesel with the MD3060 or can you adapt it to a mechanical diesel?