Best way to clean a fuel tank?

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not IDI related but I have got alot of help here on my truck sooo.......Any suggestions on how to clean a fuel tank that has some rust and corrosion from sitting for several years. Going to finish draining the gas and hi pressure wash it. Is there any kind of "treatment" to help coat the inside before I put the new pump in?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one steamed to clean it and it turned out well. But they charged me $50 to do it. Figure in any special stuff you buy to coat the tank, and you might as well go buy a new one for a little over $100 at the local store.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always brought tanks to radiator shops to have them boiled out. If its a tank thats old and real hard to find a new one get it boiled and coated

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As has been said, have it boiled out at a radiator shop then coat it with one of the many epoxies made for the purpose. I know JC whitney used to sell at least one tank coating kit.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"EASTWOOD", I believe it is, has numerous gas-tank repair products for restoring classic/old cars.

Their catalog is full of all manner of such stuff not usually available at the local parts-store.

I will say this, though; if a new tank is available, that is the route to go.

I would only go the clean/restore route if a replacement was not available.

I have seen old rotten gas-tanks let go and dump a tank of gas in the most public places. :eek:

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a farm trick, Take out the tank, pick out a dozen or so rocks from the driveway add dish soap and water shake well, Rinse, repete, when the water comes out clean, dry the tank with a hair dryer or heat gun, fill with the correct epoxy for fuel tanks, and let dry, I have repaired several tanks this way works great. ;Sweet Just remember to count the rocks in and out of the tank:eek:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What vehicle is the tank off of? What size (gallons) is it? If it's rusty inside, your asking for trouble if you don't replace it, all that cost and trouble of cleaning and coating it, ya might as well replace it. Check out Spectrapremium web site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online