Best place to get a starter?

whiskeybent

Reaction score
I am needing a starter for my truck,had to tap on it this morning to get it to work.Has anyone used any from autozone or advance auto parts. I am leaning more toward the advance auto, says its new and not reman and lifetime warranty for less than $200. I'm open to all suggestions/ideas.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I go to my Ford dealer and buy a Motorcraft unit, or I go to a local alternator and starter rebuild shop and get the one I have re-done. Those other places have better warranties for a reason, but I don't need to be spending my nights laying under the truck changing out starters. There is another outfit which is highly recommended, and is posted here somewhere, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Check to see if you have a local starter rebuild shop around.
My experience is if they're a reputible shop you'll get the best reuilt on a starter money can buy.
I've got a builder in my area and for a $100.00 I get a rebuild better than stock.:sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with the dog catcher on this one but the oem ford parts are hard to beat. I too have a mom & pop starter and alternater rebuild shop that rebuilds way better than stock and for a really fair price. A one year warranty gose with anything they do. I never have had to use it in over 36 years of dealing with them...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the lift truck gear reduction mini starter for my 7.3, lighter, better location for the battery cable, easier to get too, and best of all spins the engine in any temperature about 600rpm.
Got it for $125 from EBAY

Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mitsubishi starter one night smoked out the parking lot at a grocery store, caught fire! that was the rebuilt one that lasted a few years.
Last Mitsubishi starter I wanted on my truck. dang thing heavy like a engine block!
That starter still on the ground where it fell off my truck 5 years ago!

Javier

Darryl97420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked mine up at Carquest under $200 with the recommendation of my Ford Dealership. I'm in a small town so it had to be ordered but was ready the next morning.

whiskeybent

Reaction score
I would have ordered the one from DB, but when it wouldn't start when I left work yesterday, I had to go on and get one from advance auto for $130, its a gear reducted mitsubishi. thanks for the input

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I went with a DB starter on mine. I have two of the mitsu starters here and would sell you one for $25bux. I know it worked when my engine stopped. PM me if interested.

SWS

sootman73

Reaction score
db all the way. cant beat em. had mine for a year and i drove a lot. constantly running errands. and it didn't even slow down in the -15 weather we seem to be getting for the last few years.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in a bind a couple of weeks ago when my Mitsu starter died and I needed to get to school, and since I was out of town where the place is that rebuilds starters and alternators WAY better than stock, for a very reasonable price (cheaper than places like Advanced or Autozone, etc...) and have a lifetime warranty, since I was no where near the place (Fondy's in Appleton, WI) I was forced to get an Autozone starter. It was promptly put in and I finally realized just how bad the starter was that just died.

But I kept the old starter and am going to Fondy's and either have them rebuild it for me, or upgrade to a Nippo starter which is smaller and has much better performance. They explained it all to me, but since I was chasing my little one around that day I didn't retain a lot of it. But I do remember that it is used in heavier use applications. That's the route I want to go next time, it's worth the $50 core for Autozone - or maybe I will try to sneak in a different starter... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online