BEST and WORST water pumps, gaskets?

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
Raining AGAIN....cant continue on repairs (no shop or lean to, wrenchin' in the open air)

So, a few questions - 7.3 IDI owners :

1) Which water pumps do you personally have experience with in regards to pump longevity, and overall value?

2) Do ANY of you have a preference of brand of water pump, and why?

3) Is there a "best of the best" water pump, that most recommend for a 7.3L IDI with A/C and E4OD?

4) Is there a "worst of the worst" water pump, i.e. a brand or type of WP that you used that failed early or was leak prone ?

5) Is Motorcraft WP's the "go to, best option" or is it just a brand name thing (OEMFordpart) that people are just programmed to use? Is there a real difference in quality and value using an Motorcraft water pump?

My needs for a quality long lasting water pump, is for, the following application:

Ford 1 ton cargo van. E350 series, 7.3L IDI, N/A, E4OD

I'm asking about this as I am deciding to change or not to change my water pump even though it still functions but, with 95k on the pump, and already replacing (slow going, in process, have umbilical hernia and two herniated discs, lower back) the radiator, all hoses, and doing a stock fan delete and adding e fans anyway. While I've got it all apart (eventually) it just makes sense I think, to go the extra mile and do the WP too?

Autozone Duralast, Oreillys, Advance Auto, Napa are my local AP stores and the online options.

Thanks in advance for any comments from those with personal experience, over time and mileage OTR, with what water pump works, and lasts in the real world, i.e. daily use, towing, heavy hauling, etc.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

ClifFord

Reaction score
I have 2, 7.3 idi t and never had any trouble with the water pump. Without experience needing to change one however owning and driving and all in and out repairs and fixits. I'd go with a motorcraft or stock if you could find it.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced 4-5 of them on different trucks so far(old ones looked pretty ancient; possibly original). I just went with Autozone because it was convienient. No issues so far.

Gasket wise, I make sure to wire-wheel the metal surface of the front cover and get any crud I can off, then use a thin layer of one-minute-gasket on the paper gasket to make it stick to the water pump and front cover. Install, tighten down(be careful about over tightening the two center bolts top and bottom - it's only a thin nut inside), and go for it.

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
I've replaced 4-5 of them on different trucks so far(old ones looked pretty ancient; possibly original). I just went with Autozone because it was convienient. No issues so far.

Gasket wise, I make sure to wire-wheel the metal surface of the front cover and get any crud I can off, then use a thin layer of one-minute-gasket on the paper gasket to make it stick to the water pump and front cover. Install, tighten down(be careful about over tightening the two center bolts top and bottom - it's only a thin nut inside), and go for it.
Macrobb,

I appreciate the response.

Your saying that you have had good luck with Autozone water pumps only?

Just curious if you have ever installed any Motorcraft branded water pumps?

Which one from AZ, the regular, cheaper Duralast series or the Auto Zone Duralast Gold water pump, which, I think is their premium series, "lifetime warranty" series?

BTW....Do you still have any of the vehicles that you have replaced the WP on? If so, how long have they been on since replaced? Mileage with no issues?

Finally, is there any threads started that you know of that have pictures taken or a good step by step walk thru of the process of WP replacement here on oilburners or any other diesel forum that you know of?

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want to watch the length of the two bottom bolts that they are not to long , as mentioned in some other posts.

You must be registered for see images attach

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting, I thought most recommendations on here were to use sealer on the top center bolts only. Now I can't remember if I put it on all bolts, or just the top two... might take a look with a mirror.

What passageway do the bottom two bolts go into? Coolant or oil splash? If it's oil, it's not under pressure especially with the engine stopped. But if it's in a coolant passage, I'm not going to remove them...

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting, I thought most recommendations on here were to use sealer on the top center bolts only. Now I can't remember if I put it on all bolts, or just the top two... might take a look with a mirror.

What passageway do the bottom two bolts go into? Coolant or oil splash? If it's oil, it's not under pressure especially with the engine stopped. But if it's in a coolant passage, I'm not going to remove them...

Correction I believe that both the top two and bottom two only screw into the front cover plate, the cam and IP gear are behind these which is why need to be careful the right length bolts are used. And sealed because o the oil behind them , although not under any pressure.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correction I believe that both the top two and bottom two only screw into the front cover plate, the cam and IP gear are behind these which is why need to be careful the right length bolts are used. And sealed because o the oil behind them , although not under any pressure.
The new water pump will come with bolts for these, and the casting has been modified such that these are now the same length as all the other (short-size) bolts.

And yeah, I suppose sealer is good. I've never worried about it, to be honest. I'm not sure if I've ever noticed a drop coming from these bolts, though that may be because that area never ends up clean enough to even *see* the bolts(I have the worst luck with IP gear cover leaks).

Macrobb,

I appreciate the response.

Your saying that you have had good luck with Autozone water pumps only?
Yeah, I think so.
Just curious if you have ever installed any Motorcraft branded water pumps?
I may have gotten one off Ebay or the like, but I dont remember. Certainly didn't buy anything new.
Which one from AZ, the regular, cheaper Duralast series or the Auto Zone Duralast Gold water pump, which, I think is their premium series, "lifetime warranty" series?
I wish I could remember, it's been a couple of years since I did the last one. I probably would have bought the cheapest in-stock one.

BTW....Do you still have any of the vehicles that you have replaced the WP on? If so, how long have they been on since replaced? Mileage with no issues?
I haven't sold anything yet(I have too many trucks...) Mileage, possibly 10-20K max?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The four inside water pump bolts all go into the gear train cavity which is just some oil spash and a drain back to pan. You will notice that new water pumps come with some bolts. Back in the day you just got a pump, and tons of people were killing their ip by putting the long bolts in the wrong holes and the end of the bolt gets hammered into the pump gear, which snaps the driveshaft. The new bolts are apart of a service bulletin that ford came out with to cut down on IP replacements.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm aware of the bolt length issue (hitting the gear). I bought a Gates pump from Rock Auto and the two bolts it came with were too short to properly engage the front cover. At least that's what I remember from nearly a year ago when I replaced the worn-out one ;)

Reaction score
FWIW, I had a Motorcraft pump fail after about a year. Now running a *gasp* ACDelco pump. No issues. Probably the same factory anyway, lol.

I used a razor blade to clean the surface, and a file to knock off any sharp edges on the pump. For RTV, I used the stuff made for water pumps and thermostats.

Mike