Best 6.9 N/A Muffler?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i'm going to have the motor back soon and after it's together and fit into the scout i'm going to need a good pair of mufflers for the scout. i was thinking 2 good ol' flowmaster 40's (or whichever they have in 3" that'll suit the application) i'll run 3" into the 4" stacks. ;Sweet any other opinions? i know the flowmasters are the cat's meow for gassers, i'd assume the same for N/A diesels right? :dunno there isn't a ton of room under the scout, i'll have to measure around the t-case and everything.

and i was thinking i'll make a intake right off the intake out of 5" tubing and if i can fit it i'll just throw the biggest K&N i can fit on the end (see attached site) or is there any aftermarket intake for the 6.9 from banks or anything out there? :thumbsup:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-3220

thanks!
-Jon ;Sweet

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey flowmasters aren't the best for diesels in my opinion. I would go with a straight through muffler. If you like quiet use a magnaflow if you like noise use a glass pack

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i know that stright through is good for a turbo diesel, but doesn't a n/a need any kind of muffler for scavaging or anything, especially a brand new motor w/ a cam. :confused:

-Jon

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Mine came loose right after the downpipe once.....sounded really great I thought!
Wifey said I'd have to spend time on the couch if I left it cause it sounded like some of my ****** cousins.....
Thought seriously about trading the wife off.....but relented & hooked pipe back up:rotflmao
sighhhh.....
sure sounded good though!!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
well.... i'll have to see, i think all 3" straight pipe to 4" stacks will be deafening. cookoo i hate those straight through "diesel" mufflers, i'd rather a set of glass packs, but i'm sure they'll do as every other one and burn off the paint then rot through, i'm planning on running a full stainless exhaust too. i'll have to look around, mabe i'll use the flowmasters to quite it untill i put a turbo on it. :dunno

-Jon

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i have glasspacks on mine. they dont rust out too quick because diesel exhaust has less condensation in it. my factory stock exhaust system was 17 years old when it finally let go.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
When I was NA I built a 3" dual all the way to behind the duals system using Flowmaster 50 series. It was so loud it would rattle windows and give us a headache. It was TERRIBLE. It took 30" long round truck mufflers from NAPA behind the Flowmasters to get it quiet enough we could listen to the radio.

Jim

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had glasspacks on one for over 6 years and it doesn't have any rust on it and still sounds great.

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
Go w/ 3" Magnaflow straight thru. I'm N/A & have one . I love it! Not to loud & no back pressure! You'll love one. Prices are pretty good too. Stay away from the Flowmasters.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i'm not much for the magnaflows, i don't like the way they look or sound. :puke: remember this is going to be under a scout, i don't want ANYTHING to hang below the framerails, i know those goofy mufflers are HUGE. i think i'm at a toss up between the flowmasters and good ol' glasspacks. :confused: i know sooner or later it'll be straight pipe when i put a turbo on it. ;Sweet this is a temporay "break in" test. :rolleyes:

-Jon

offroadohio

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread, I had all intentions of asking the same question today.

My truck is 30+ feet long so it sounds like glasspacks exiting clear in the back will be perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online