Bed bolt upgrade?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by AtomicPlayboy, Dec 1, 2017.

1. franklin2

franklin2 Full Access Member

You guys must have better luck with the u-clips than I do. The originals rust up and break, so then they just spin around and you end up grinding the head off the bolt to get the bed off. Of course that ruins your special factory bolt.

2. laserjock

laserjock Rebuilding! Supporting Member

I seem to take the bed on and off often enough that hasn’t been a problem yet.

LOL

3. Slade

Slade Full Access Member

My ‘94 only had 6 bolts. When I got some camper tie downs the kit came with 8 and showed where to drill the bed and install, apparently the frame is drilled to take 8. Must have let Ford save 12 cents by eleminating them.

4. papadiesel

papadiesel Registered User

6 commonly for the 8 foot bed because dual tanks in the way of getting to bolts. No problem using the newer style, just use lots of antisieze and hand thread before you crank!! Comes with wide washers, so support and looks are better as well!

5. david85

david85 Full Access Member

Anyone got a link or P# for this bed bolt kit? My plan was to make some tie-downs that attach directly under the bed bolts but when I put the bed back on, time was tight so I just went and got carriage bolts. The ability to undo the bolts from the top sounds nice.

6. papadiesel

EBay for 1999 Ford Or it's a doorman kit don't have the number Comes with six bolts hex head style large washers and the clips make sure you hand thread them before you crank them down you can cross thread them if you're not careful like I did when I was using my Air impact 3/8 :)

7. CDX825

CDX825 filtration nut

We did the doorman kit on my brothers truck. I like the setup but the nuts they give you are a pain because they are locking ones. Forget trying to use the fancy clip with a locking nut. It just ends up stripping out or at least that was our luck. Ended up going to the hardware store and getting non locking nuts and all was well.

8. Tristan

Tristan Full Access Member

I recently did this on my truck, only 6 bolts. I just looked at my Amazon history and it shows the Dorman 924-311 is the kit I used. It worked fairly well.

9. papadiesel

again even with locking nuts, as they have, use antiseize and hand thread before you crank down, have had mine off three times (shimming issues with frame, etc) and had no issues!! Careful is always the key!