BB code injectors question!

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i have a 7.3 that im throwin in my truck to replace my 6.9 and wondered what the bb's should pop test at for the min and max before i would have to shim them??? can anyone help me out? And i wondered if the G code out of my 6.9 would work better in the 7.3 versus having the BB codes in her?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
you definatly want the bb codes, unless the g codes are in much better shape. And as far as the PSI, you want them all to be pretty close to each other. I'm not sure what the range is that you want to set them at though

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks! well we have a pop tester here at my diesel shop and i wanted to pop test them before i throw them in the truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A new and not rebuilt Bb code will pop at 1850 psi. I talked in depth about this will Russ before I bought a set from him. After around 5000 miles the springs have taken a set and normally wont spag anymore. So I poped tested mine and found from 1700 to 1850 with one nazzle burned. I'm guessing that pintle and nozzle seat was not holding compression and heat... So I replaced that nozzle and pintle... They all are set to 1850 psi now and the timing is 10.4 dbtdc...:sly I have a bit of a ruff idle so I turned down my duel about 1/2 flat... Runs much smoother but "needs to go down some more".... Gees.. thats a term not heard around these parts.:angel::sly Anyway, I do have some videos up that will help you understand what your about to get into. Shims are the most important part of the job other than keeping things clean. Once you remove the cap and have the nozzle and pintle in your hand feel the close fit tollerances. Any dirt... Even the crap you can't see or feel will harm the tight fit. Remember tht any fuel thats seen by the injector internals has been filtered down to around 5 to 7 microns thru the fuel filter. Some filter better than others fram being the worst... I use only the motorcraft filters and for good reason. I will be modifing a 1999 to 03 filter to work on our engines... Its really simple too do. Video to come...:D

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! thanks alot for the info i watched your video and have a good idea how these injectors work now. they are alot different than the cummins n14 style and 24 valve engines that i work on all day long....ugh but now i can understand how my injectors work. now on cleaning these injectors. what do you recommend them be cleaned in? diesel fuel, kerosene? solvent?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All I used to clean mine was brake clean. I buffed the threads to the body on a brass wire wheel keeping the ends clear of dirt. ,Then sprayed off the injector and opened them up. The spacer with dowels has a lapped machined fit to the nozzle body so make sure thats a perfectly clean area when its reassembled. Any dirt there and you will have a leaker. Actually an ultrasonic cleaner works best if you have one. The chem cleaner that cuts carbon will clean any carbon on the injector....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online