Bauman transmission controller

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Yestarday Okie ****** stopped by. We took a ride in his truck,he wanted to show me how it shifts with the Baumann computor.All I can say is !!!!INCREDABLE!!!!I have never seeen an E40D shift that well.If I was still using my truck-with out a doubt I would put one in mine.The cost seems high,but after seeing how it shifts I can only say it would be well worth the money considering the longivety it potentally can give a transmission.In my case where I pulled heavy trailers for so many miles I see how it would minimize so much slippage and allow for better utilization of the engine torque the cost would not be a consideration.I am cofident it would extend transmission life to the extent it would far overcome the purchase price. Once more I have never seen an E40D shift so sweet NEVER!!
As I rode in it I thought that with well over 200,000 on my jasper transmission pulling heavy loads It would make the E40d the best transmission I ever towed with. I honestly feel that properly rebuilt-maintained and driven it is far superior to the C6.
My opinion only Mr Bill

Last edited:

82fordtruck

Reaction score
They outta put you two on commision.

That's great though. I had the same experience with my ZF-5.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Aah, got it!

With as much as you two talk about it, it almost makes me want an E4OD to try that on, but since I get everything that computer gives you with an extra pedal and a big stick to play with, I just keep what I've got. It's cheaper than trying to "conmpensate" some other way.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
Aah, got it!

With as much as you two talk about it, it almost makes me want an E4OD to try that on, but since I get everything that computer gives you with an extra pedal and a big stick to play with, I just keep what I've got. It's cheaper than trying to "conmpensate" some other way.

Well, you play with your "Stick" and I can play with the "Knobs" of "Management". Way back in the "olden days" I ONCE got 'high' and tried to drive home in my "stick shift" car. All the lights at night were ssooooo purdy, and I couldn't get the damn tranny outa 1st gear. It was a good thing it had a rotary engine and it didn't mind 5000 rpm in first gear all the way home.cookoo Have you ever watched Johnny Carson while yer 'high'?:rotflmao My mom thought something was different about me that night:angel: .OkieGringo

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
oldmisterbill said:
Yestarday Okie ****** stopped by. We took a ride in his truck,he wanted to show me how it shifts with the Baumann computor.All I can say is !!!!INCREDABLE!!!!I have never seeen an E40D shift that well.If I was still using my truck-with out a doubt I would put one in mine.The cost seems high,but after seeing how it shifts I can only say it would be well worth the money considering the longivety it potentally can give a transmission.In my case where I pulled heavy trailers for so many miles I see how it would minimize so much slippage and allow for better utilization of the engine torque the cost would not be a consideration.I am cofident it would extend transmission life to the extent it would far overcome the purchase price. Once more I have never seen an E40D shift so sweet NEVER!!
As I rode in it I thought that with well over 200,000 on my jasper transmission pulling heavy loads It would make the E40d the best transmission I ever towed with. I honestly feel that properly rebuilt-maintained and driven it is far superior to the C6.
My opinion only Mr Bill

Thanks OMB, for the "back-up". That trip to your place was the first time I've had a chance to see how it shifts up and down at highway speeds. I made a few adjustments on the way home also and man the truck likes 65mph even up the hills in 4th/tc-locked:D . It stays in 4th/locked and keeps on pulling rather than shifting down to 3rd or unlocking tc in 4th, lets the turbo work. Even with the trans cooler side of rad blocked with cardboard trans temp never went over 140. OG likes it mucho:D

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
OG,
Would the Bauman unit eliminate the need for a TransCommand or BTS valve body when you add a turbo to a NA engine/E40D combo? This thing sounds great to me!

Don

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
tuckerd1 said:
OG,
Would the Bauman unit eliminate the need for a TransCommand or BTS valve body when you add a turbo to a NA engine/E40D combo? This thing sounds great to me!

Don

Don, I think it would not require those other units. One of the MANY things that you can adjust with the Baumann TCS is "line pressure" and I believe that is what the Transcommand does. For the "straight poop" call Greg at 1-864-335-9365 10am-5pm M-F EASTERN TIME, he works Tech Support from home( so you might here his kids in background). Tell him Alden sent you. OkieGringo Let me know what he says.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
I read in another post about a home grown way to force the trans to lock up in 2nd and 3rd as well. May be there is a aftermarket unit to do this? Can the Bauman unit do that as well? After getting the bugs worked out of my trans I have to say I am fairly happy. My only beef now is the mileage. If these trans could lock up in the lower gears we might be able to improve mileage a bit.?

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Magoo said:
I read in another post about a home grown way to force the trans to lock up in 2nd and 3rd as well. May be there is a aftermarket unit to do this? Can the Bauman unit do that as well? After getting the bugs worked out of my trans I have to say I am fairly happy. My only beef now is the mileage. If these trans could lock up in the lower gears we might be able to improve mileage a bit.?

Yes, the TC will lockup in 2nd and 3rd also. I have it set so that I can drive around town in 4th/OD, TC locked at 35 mph turning only 1200rpm/4.10 gears. and it will stay locked down to 2nd gear. It's kind like having a 7 sp E4OD. Rpm drop 400
Here is the "home-grown" TC lockup....

TC Manual switch.......
Hold on fellers!!!!!! I Just performed the mod today. Pretty simple but I am a trans man and there are some things that I want you to understand prior to beginning this operation. You only want this mod to be energized or the switch to "on" at speeds over 40. If you forget to turn it off before stopping, the vehicle will shutter violently and you can leave parts of your trans or motor behind. Dont Get me wrong, I love this mod but I suggest that this mod is only for the guy who drives long distance and not Stop and Go. This mod will save you from smoking your convertor if your vehicle is cycling lock up on and off irregularly. I will soon have BOSS Transmissions website back on line and the ability to post a diagram relating to this mod. Look for a new thread detailing the mod called "E40D Lockup Modification"

Thanks Dan......BossTrans

For those who would like to convert there lockup to a manually controlled status via a two pole switch, the following will apply.
I post this information for peeps that do not want to entirely reverse engineer their lockup circuit. Thus was the case on one of the vehicles brought to me. This mod was performed and works like a charm on an ambulance that had intermitten lockup problems. Intermitten lockup causes heat and convertor failure. Ideally in this situation the vehicle could be diagnosed by Ford with minor difficulty. However, It is my luck as is some of yours that the problem cannot be picked up my scanning the rig for faults. Poor grounds or dirty connections do not display themselfs on scanners. This vehicle we worked on has a 9"x6" wiring harness in it. The process of reverse engineering that bad dog was unacceptable so we went to Ford. After shelling out big bux to Ford to say "we dont know where the problem is but we can keep working on it (for 65 per hour!)" We decided to mod the trans harness ourselves. You should have a multimeter available to you before performing this mod.

The E4OD in my opinion shifts like crap from the factory. Lockup engages in all gears somewhat randomly and really gives unpredicatable results in shift feel. There is a solution but it is not for everyone. Several companies make trans command adapters which work nicely if everything in the vehicle is electrically tight. If there are connection problems in the vehicle regulating lockup circuit the trans controllers will not work. So the only other option in curing this problem of shift feel revolving around intermitten lockup and wireing problems is to install a manual switch to bypass the computer controlls for this circuit. DO NOT LET THE WIFE OR KIDS OPERATE THIS VEHICLE WITHOUT THIS SWITCHED MARKED "KEEP THIS SWITCH OFF." If this switch is left on below the speed of 25 the vehicle will shake and you may leave parts of your trans or engine behind!! This Switch cannot be placed in the "on" position until the vehicle speed is above 35 for most effective shift feel and control. For guys that want that control over shift feel this really does work great and should improve mileage for those who experience lockup cycling. Lets begin.

Identify the Main electronic harness going to the trans. Above the trans connector about 4-5 inches locate the Purple wire with a white or Yellow stripe on it. This wire gets stained with oil so look closely. Simply cutting this wire will make the trans shift through all the gear ranges except for convertor lockup. The trans will at this point shift better then u have ever felt before because the gear ratios are all nicely matched by ford. Early lockup screws up this nice ratio thus this fix will eleminate this.

Now that the lockup wire is cut attatch 2 lengths of wire to the two wires that are now available at the trans (one length per each lead).
drill a small hole in the floorboard under the carpet to get the two wires up to your dash somewhere convient for a switch. At this point u need to do a test. Tie these two wires together. The trans should operate normally and lockup will come in as before you cut the wires. At this point all we created was a loop effectively lengthening the path of the convertor lock up circuit. Using your meter, and a second driver for the rig, get up to about 55 mph and hold steady. Set your meter to dc voltage on the 20 volt scale. Place your red lead to the two wires on your dash that are tied together and the black lead to the outer circle of your cigarette lighter (ground). At the speed of 55mph with the vehicle warm you should have a reading of about .5 to 3 volts. If you apply the brake and hold the speed at 55 you should see that voltage jump to 12-14 volts. If you let off the gas the voltage should be 12-14 volts. As you get back on the gas and return to 55 and level out you should see the voltage drop to .5-3.0 volts. With the vehicle in park the voltage should again be 12-14 volts. You will notice that when lockup engages the voltage drop occures and lockup takes place. We are going to manually drop this voltage by adding a ground which is effectively what the computer does to engage lockup. If these results are not typical of your vehicle STOP HERE!! Your harness may be different and this Mod will not apply to your vehicle.

Assuming your tests indicated the correct results and u have the two wires inside your vehicle, open up the two wires you tied together and place the red lead on one of those wires and the black lead to the cigarette lighter outer ring (ground). You should notice that one lead will produce 12-14 volts with engine on and in park and one wire of the two will produce .5-3 volts when measureing to ground. Note the High voltage lead. Take your switch and place the high voltage lead reading 12-14 volts on one of the switches poles and tighten it down. On the other side of the switch connect the remaining wire from the trans AND a jumper wire that is somewhere securely grounded to the chassis of the vehicle. This will in effect ground the second terminal to the chassis. The benefit of this arrangement will gives the driver total control of lockup. Notice that when the switch is open (off) the computer cannot engage lockup if it is undesireable to the driver and around town you will get nice crisp shifts that contain nice ratios as designed by ford. Once this switch is activated lockup will engange and HOLD for the duration the switch is on.

I recommend you only use the switch for highway use to increase economy. That is unless your like me, I like the ability to control shift feel and it doesnt bother me to toggle that switch off and on for stops. If your a control freak this is the nuts and works well. This mod was performed on a 91 Diesel ambulance converted to a service truck. As we have not tested it on all electrical configurations for each of the years we cannot assume that this mod will work in all applications. For those of you that it does work for, Enjoy....its a really nice feature that will payoff in economy. On the highway flip the switch and let her go!!! even if you let off the gas a little lockup won't fall out and then reengage like the factory controls. Once Boss Transmissions web site is back up we will provide schematics for those who would like to review the above procedure.

We make no claims about its intent or use. Perform at your own risk. Feel Free to Correct anything I have said here. Read this Thread thoughly in case others experience situations that are undesireable. Thanks for your time..

Dan from BossTrans

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Thanks Okie, I guess I am a little nervous about the homegrown unit. Driving is my inventing time. I dont have a radio or nothing to distract me so I can think about building weird and wacky projects. Most of the time they only get built in my head but thats another topic.(probebly for a shrink) i drive fire tenders in the summer and I get to driving and most of the time forget which gear im in. Thats another reason I like autos. So the Bauman looks like a better way for me. I have too many projects going right now so it may be a while before I get to it. Hopefull the price comes down a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online