Battery upgrades?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wally world batteries for both my trucks. Never had a pair last fewer than 7 years. Starts down to -20F

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you... 9+ years ago the Odyssey's were less expensive, that's why I went with the X2power this time ($261 each at my location). Hard to justify short term, but I've had it 29 years and no plan to sell it.

Another plus for AGM's -- They don't have any corrosion issues, the original battery terminal clamps look like new! Using AGM's in everything, forklift, tractor, even a 5.5 KW generator.

I was looking at the one's listed as Odessey which are $334ea. Looks like the 10% discount is still available, so that would put it at $600 for those batteries. The X2Power are $300 ea - 10%, so $540 for the pair. Not sure if there's shipping on that or not, but its still some serious coin to drop for a pair of batteries. I can understand where it would be needed in some applications though.

I like the idea of them being a drop in solution, but I can get Group 31s for around $100 ea, and for the $300+ difference in price, I'm willing to make a few mods. I've cranked and cranked and cranked on my 31's and never had a problem. If I crank so long that I start to loose some power, something else has gone noticeably wrong. If I had other high current needs, I'd be willing to spend the money, but just for starting the truck, I can't justify it. A good Group 31 will give me 950CCA ea. Not as much reserve as a deep cycle, but I've cranked on mine long enough to have killed at least 2 sets of Group 59s, and they still had plenty of life in them.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Only thing is you have to watch charging voltage. Can cook a agm pretty easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odyssey AGM charging spec is 14.0 to 14.7 VDC (15.0 VDC max). I believe other AGM's are very similar.

Not a problem charging from the alternator in-vehicle, but a big potential issue with many portable plug-in battery chargers. I've measured over 16 volts on a couple. I gave away all my old non-AGM compatible chargers, using CTek and Odyssey chargers for quite a while now.

Only thing is you have to watch charging voltage. Can cook a agm pretty easily.

Last edited:

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online