Battery question

pafixitman

Reaction score
I am having a problem with my batteries losing charge. I have not had time to trouble shoot a short, but more to the question is this...they are not able to be recharged once they die. They lose a cell. Both are Diehard Plat. bought same time. Cables all look good. Went to start the truck Friday and they were dead. Sears replaced both under warranty...second time since last March.

Any idea on what would cause a dead cell?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you've got a short somewhere or something else is pulling current all the time on your batteries. It can be a huge PITA to track down but has any electrial functions acting strange? I'd start at the battery cables and go from there.:dunno

Heath

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If You still have the same gauges You can disconnect them and see if that makes any difference. Any add on's to the electrical system for the vehicle is the first thing to fail at least in most cases.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe, put a 2 amp trickle charger on them. If it holds them up, then they may just be shot. Moose Truck has this problem alot. From sitting too much. I keep him on life support to make them last now.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you've got a short somewhere or something else is pulling current all the time on your batteries. It can be a huge PITA to track down but has any electrial functions acting strange? I'd start at the battery cables and go from there.:dunno

Heath

Heath is correct. You have something "robbing" current when the key is in the off position. You may need an ammeter to check it. One way to do it is to go to your fuse panel, remove one fuse at a time and put your ammeter across the two contacts, set at a low range. That will tell you which circuit the robber is on. If you want a "quick" fix after buying new batteries, you can always put in a couple of those battery-disconnect switches that will disconnect your batteries when the truck is sitting. You will have to switch them on every time you get in the truck, but they will give you time to track down the culprit. Common culprits are clocks, radios, interior lights.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I am having a similar problem w my 86. Truck sat for about a week. Went to start this am and it hardly would turn over. Tonight i remove the Constant hot lead to the trailer plug, Removed a wire going from a toggle switch in the dash to a taped off end at the front fuel tank and replaced the stupid fog light swich w a toggle. O and charged the batteries for 2 hours on a 2 amp setting. Have to see if she starts in the am.

And i disconnected both battery neg leads. and just touched one to the battery, no arc. not even a little one. hope i fixed my problem. And after i finished my junk wire removal i started the truck. DVM said only 12.36V I was thinking at least 13v

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i usually rely on the simplest solution which is to install a night switch to disconnect the ground side of the circuit every the truck is shut down for the night the same as what is already suggested it is the easiest solution (just make sure it is the ground your put the switch on)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will suck if you like programmed radios and clocks.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i usually rely on the simplest solution which is to install a night switch to disconnect the ground side of the circuit every the truck is shut down for the night the same as what is already suggested it is the easiest solution (just make sure it is the ground your put the switch on)

I really don't think the ground side is the side to put your switch on. 100% of electricians would put any night switch on the + battery post. It's the conventional way to do it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i agree Mel. Well its not my batteries or a draw.. I believe my starter is going. When i turn it over the DVM goes from 12.5 to 3.5. Had the batteries load tested and they show GOOD. I have a 88 7.3 starter on the shelf. is that the same as my 86 6.9 starter?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IDI starters are all interchangeable.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
An easy test for shut down draw is to unhook the positive cables, then put a test light between the cable and the positive terminal of the battery. A dim glow is generally acceptable (clock, etc.) but if it lights, you have something pulling current. Just a cheap test, a multimeter can do the same thing, but most everyone has a test light and they are not afraid to use them! :)

pafixitman

Reaction score
What did ya find out Joe?:dunno

Heath

That I work too damn much!

No time to play around with the truck. I did get some work (the JOB type) done yesterday while the race was on. Also spent time with Steph Saturday afternoon / evening and the kids last night.

I do need to get to the truck - still have the oil leak, want to redo my tranny coolers, add backup lights and a nice coat of wax. Still have some odds and ends to finish on my sister's Jeep. 2 weeks ago I picked up about a ton of field stone to redo the pond and get that finished. Steph wants the kitchen and bath repainted. Ugh it never ends!!!!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That I work too damn much!

No time to play around with the truck. I did get some work (the JOB type) done yesterday while the race was on. Also spent time with Steph Saturday afternoon / evening and the kids last night.

I do need to get to the truck - still have the oil leak, want to redo my tranny coolers, add backup lights and a nice coat of wax. Still have some odds and ends to finish on my sister's Jeep. 2 weeks ago I picked up about a ton of field stone to redo the pond and get that finished. Steph wants the kitchen and bath repainted. Ugh it never ends!!!!

I hear you Joe.

Hang in there!;Sweet

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online