Battery light on

Gone Huntin'

Reaction score
My battery light is has been on for some time now, but my alternator is charging fine. I checked it with a voltmeter and it's putting out 13-14 volts and the truck is starting fine. The regulator has even been replaced. Any ideas? 1991 F250 7.3 IDI auto 4x4.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant help you on your problem, but i can tell you that mine is doing the same thing. the battery light would be on while it was idling but as soon as you raise the rpm's it would go out and then come back on when you let off the throttle. ive replaced two alts and three regs and it still aint right. ive put the third reg on it today and now the amp light stays on all the time now. i sure hope somebody can solve your problem, because it will solve mine too. hopefully.lol

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall the exact wiring for the trucks, but my 91 car has a separate wire for the "idiot light". When it was worked on, the tab to hold the wire in place broke & when it was 'barely on', accelerating would loosen the wire enough to turn the light on. You might want to check to see if it has anything loose:dunno

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does my 1985 even have a "battery" light ??

In all the twenty-plus years I have owned it, I have never seen it ON.

If it is there, where on the dash is it ??

The only light that ever comes ON is the BRAKE.

Thanks.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does my 1985 even have a "battery" light ??

In all the twenty-plus years I have owned it, I have never seen it ON.

If it is there, where on the dash is it ??

The only light that ever comes ON is the BRAKE.

Thanks.

not sure about the 85, i own one and realy dont know. the truck thats been giving me probs is the 92 that i forgot to put in my sig.:dunno

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i forgot to mention also that i fixed the battery light issue and the alt is charging its butt off. the funny thing is the alt was charging before but not enough to turn the light off. i put 4 regs on checking each one with a volt meter to see how much they were letting the alt putout and finally found one that would putout closer to the 14.2 mark. just goes to show you that everything that you buy new isnt always good.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the OBS have a battery light that I'm aware of. Original body's have an amp METER (which doesn't work real good), and Bricknoses have the voltmeter like the OBS.